Gray Water disposal

CD Noble

Recently ran into a problem in a California campground when we were draining our dishwater into an open container. We were told it is illegal and we had to have an enclosed container. Commercial containers are to bulky for our 4 Wheel Hawk so I decided to make one from a 5 gallon soap bucket.( see illustrations) We later modified it to work in a campground dump at the campsite by adding proper fittings and drain hose all for around $20.00 and it all stores in the bucket and will sit behind the seat in the camper when in transit.
We just completed a cross country trip and this worked real well everywhere we camped and we had no issues in any campground.

Attachments

• Gray-Water-disposal-No1.jpg
    Gray-Water-disposal-No1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 700
  • Gray-Water-No2.jpg
    Gray-Water-No2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 675
I like what you've done. I do have a question. I use a collapsible Reliance container that is enclosed, but since it is flexible plastic, do you think it would be allowed in that California campground? Just curious.

Curious about what California campground you were at. Perhaps we can pull up what the regs are there.

I'm also curious how well water drains into it without a vent. Does enough air move back through the drain so it flows well?

Ski I think someone mentioned some time back about the beach campgrounds in southern cal being sticky about "gray water".
I havn't run into any problems ,though I don't drain away my sink water.I use a small plastic container to wash in,in the sink than dump the water in the "biffy",which most campgrounds want you to do.
Frank

I would assume a 5gal bucket with lid on, a hole just large enough for the hose to fit would be passable. I think I'd prefer the idea of something collapsible.

I used an old kiddy litter bucket with a hole cut in the lid for years cost $0.00
until I made a grey water tank out of pvc inside the truck bed.

I use something similar that came with the camper when I got it in the "ready to go" kit. The 5 gal container folds up and lives over the propane tank when not is use. Works great, and doesn't take up any space that is needed for other things. Have not had any problems at campgrounds.

What I have is close to that as well. I use an old blue kerosene plastic can, piece of hose and a modified cap. Easy to carry....spill proof....easy to dump. I will post my picture when it stops raining.

I like the idea of Collapsible and Marshfly has the Zebra, I looked this up on line not sure it was the Zebra brand but one gentlemen that bought this was upset that the collapsible gray water did not fill very well. He said because there was no value in it the water had a hard time filling the collapsiible bag. Just was wondering if anyone was having a problem with that before I purchase one.

Mr. Prescott said:
I like the idea of Collapsible and Marshfly has the Zebra, I looked this up on line not sure it was the Zebra brand but one gentlemen that bought this was upset that the collapsible gray water did not fill very well. He said because there was no value in it the water had a hard time filling the collapsiible bag. Just was wondering if anyone was having a problem with that before I purchase one.
I believe I am using the same hose as on the Zebra. In fact, I think what I have is the Zebra, not a Reliance container, as I said before. The hose is vented at the connector, and filling is only a problem if there is a kink in the hose or the vent is closed. That's been my experience, anyway.

highz said:
I believe I am using the same hose as on the Zebra. In fact, I think what I have is the Zebra, not a Reliance container, as I said before. The hose is vented at the connector, and filling is only a problem if there is a kink in the hose or the vent is closed. That's been my experience, anyway.
x2, fills without any issues as long as the vent is open and/or the hose isn't kinked. Whenever we've had an issue it was because the vent accidentally was closed moving the container around.

Yep. I just used it for a 2.5 week trip to wyoming and colorado. The only time I had trouble with it was when I forgot to open the vent. When open, it drains just like your sink at home. The only issue is that the hose that comes with it is too short for my truck, a new 4wd F150 with 34" tires. I have to put it on a folding stool to not stress the hose. Most normal height trucks should have no problem as I'd only need the hose to be a couple of inches longer to work great.

Still have my old water hose and an empty bleach container :D ----also have one for night water-just got to rememember witch is witch :p !

Smoke

I must be old :oops: ---devise used for a midnight pee in a civilized campground when the bathroom is to far-evolved from originial use while drinking beer at a drive-in movie :p !

Smoke

ski3pin said:
night water?

Smokecreek1 said:
I must be old :oops: ---devise used for a midnight pee in a civilized campground when the bathroom is to far-evolved from originial use while drinking beer at a drive-in movie :p !

Smoke
I think "night water" is a phrase related to "night soil", more common in the days when "gardyloo" was heard ringing out in the morn from windows above city streets. ;)

...TMI? :oops:

Back
Top Bottom