Green Creek, Mono Lake, and Beyond Bodie

Basin Deranged

Like many Californians I was first introduced to the Great Basin on its very western edge at the East Side of the Sierra Nevada. N and myself, and our children when they were still in the house, visit the East Side almost every year. We have our favorite places. This trip was a return to some of those places and a chance to explore some new places as well. N chose not to join me on this trip: She has spent most of the last 8 months living with her dying father and caring for him, so she was eager to spend a little time getting re-acquainted with her own home.

I'm always restless the night before a trip and this one was no exception. I was wide awake at 4am. I left the house at 4:30 and certainly missed all of the Bay Area commute traffic. I was on Sonora Pass by 10 eating my breakfast muesli and enjoying the views.

Leavitt Lake was my first stop. I have driven past the road to the lake plenty of times but never visited it.

gallery_5833_947_32970.jpg

It is a beautiful lake, though it was a bit peculiar to visit an alpine lake that has vehicle traffic! I enjoyed my lunch there before heading south on Highway 395 a few miles past Bridgeport to the turn off to Green Creek.

gallery_5833_947_93027.jpg

Green Creek has a small Forest Service campground which is closed at this time of year, but I prefer to camp in a favorite spot in a meadow with as much sunlight as I can get at this time of year when the days are shortening and the air is cool. The first night was, in fact, the coldest night of the trip. Thick frost coated my camp chair in the morning. Near the campground is a trailhead into the mountains in the picture above.

gallery_5833_947_44465.jpg

My camp was near the creek itself and I had the companionship of a coot for the 3 days that I was there.

gallery_5833_947_100613.jpg

I guess the young coot felt a certain kinship with an old coot like myself.
I saw quite a few waterbirds during my stay in the area including grebes and ducks.

gallery_5833_947_7423.jpg

My bicycle was put to good use on fishing and exploring expeditions in the area, very handy for traveling the 3 miles from camp to the trailhead where I could leave it locked up while spending the day hiking and fishing.

gallery_5833_947_65178.jpg

The lakes above Green Creek are beautiful, and at this time of year, deserted. I saw two other hikers in a full day of hiking and fishing at several of the upper lakes. There was a good dusting of snow on the ground from a storm a few days before at the highest lakes I visited, the Hoover Lakes.

Taken from near Green Lake, this photo looks down on the Green Lake Valley. My campsite is in the meadow at the very center of the picture. The air was hazy during most of my trip.

gallery_5833_947_78371.jpg

My next stop was at the top of a jeep road through Sumner Meadows (sometimes also called Summers Meadows) and up to a trailhead for a little trail that cuts over to the Tamarack Creek drainage. I spent a day fishing Tamarack Creek and visiting Tamarack Lake.

gallery_5833_947_137300.jpg

The view into the Twin Lakes Valley and the Bridgeport area from camp that night was superb.

gallery_5833_947_69829.jpg

My next stop was Twin Lakes, an area that I usually avoid due to the crowds; but at this time of year the crowds are gone, the campgrounds are closed, and the lakes are quiet. Hiking and fishing for Brook Trout in Cattle Creek and Robinson Creek in relative solitude was a treat. A quarter mile beyond the last building at the Robinson Creek trailhead, all alone in the pines, I found this guy. Anyone else remember the Bicentennial Fire Hydrants?

gallery_5833_947_20365.jpg

To be continued...

Awesome campsite at Green Creek. Did you catch any fish? If so, which creek? Looking forward to Part II.

Vaguely remember the bicentennial stuff. I don't think most people realize the fire hydrant colors relate to their capacity. I've never made it to Leavitt Lake. Need to remedy that soon. 108 was closed last time I went by.

P.S. Late night reading as a large blob of orange on the radar keeps me awake.

Thanks, that was a nice trip report. Late season, no crowds is always a winner.

Thank you all!

Yes GroovyDad, I did catch fish; a couple of small rainbows in Green Creek, brook trout in Tamarack Creek and Cattle Creek. I didn't catch anything in the meadow area of Robinson Creek where I spent more time trying to extract myself from waist-deep beaver pond marshes than actually fishing. (No I wasn't wearing waders!)

The Brookies were more interested in spawning than feeding and those that were feeding were, perhaps, feeding on the occasional eggs that would spill out of the spawning beds. Among my limited fly-tying supplies were a few brass beads which I used to tie some imitation Brook Trout egg patterns but they were twice the size of a real egg: The trout were more interested in those mock-eggs than any other fly I put in front of them but still not very interested.

My best luck was at the lakes in the high country above Green Creek, one lake in particular, at the outlet side of the lake, was very generous to me; 3 rainbows between 15 and 20 inches.

Leaving Twin Lakes, I headed out to the other side of Highway 395 to explore some of the area around Bodie. The Bodie Hills were delightful in the early morning light.

gallery_5833_947_43944.jpg

From Bridgeport I drove up the Aurora Canyon road, and some unnamed jeep roads, through Sagebrush and Pinyon Pines.

gallery_5833_947_97966.jpg

Eventually I reached the Bodie Masonic Road which I followed to Bodie, then turned left on the Bodie Road towards the sites of Del Monte and Aurora, both thriving mining towns at one time. Aurora was, in fact, the county seat of Mono County until it was discovered that it was actually in Nevada!

Several fine ruins along the side of the road.

gallery_5833_947_82980.jpg

gallery_5833_947_130647.jpg

This sign promised more than the road delivered. The road was actually in pretty good shape through the narrow canyon that begins just below this sign. I never needed 4 wheel drive. There are power lines through the canyon so I would guess that the road is usually in pretty good shape to allow access to the power lines.

gallery_5833_947_121647.jpg

Yes, at this point I had crossed into Nevada. The road dropped through a canyon with rock walls on either side. It seemed to me a prime spot to find petroglyphs. I found one possible example, but given the fact that I found no others around it maybe this bit of rock art is just a figment of my overactive imagination. I think I see a human figure with a zig-zag line below, but your guess is as good as mine.

gallery_5833_947_74148.jpg

There were two one-lane bridges to cross but oncoming traffic was no problem. That entire day, other than the parking lot at Bodie, I saw 2 bicycles, two Subarus, two pickup trucks, and a road grader.

gallery_5833_947_102962.jpg

In fact the only piece of road that was anywhere close to requiring 4 wheel drive was where one of these bridges had failed and so the route went steeply down and up the dry creek banks. But desert roads are very susceptible to rearrangement by water so don't rely on my road description beyond the next rain storm.

After a side trip to Aurora I returned to the Bodie Road for e few miles until turning right on the Lucky Boy road which I followed for about 5 miles before turning right again onto a smaller but well-graded road that climbs to the top of a gentle pass before dropping into Powell Canyon and eventually hitting NV Highway 359 about 15 miles south of Hawthorne. At the top of the pass I found a nice level campsite with fine views on a little spur road.

gallery_5833_947_50316.jpg

The site had been used before and suffered from a peculiar human disease called "Plinking." This disease is usually spread by .22 caliber rifles and pistols and results in a rash of broken glass and .22 shell casings scattered about the landscape. I spent about a half hour picking up glass, shells and various other bits of stuff by which time I had a very nice campsite. While studying the ground for pieces of glass I was rewarded with the discovery of this piece of obsidian far from any other obsidian that I know of. Whether it has been worked or is just a random sharp chip I do not have the knowledge to say. But I was delighted to find it.

gallery_5833_947_37577.jpg

Yes, I left it there for you to find when you visit the spot. Be sure to pick up some glass and I'm quite sure you will find it.

gallery_5833_947_50846.jpg

I was also rewarded with a fine sunset.

Continued...

In the morning, after breaking camp, I drove down the winding road that follows the canyon walls of Powell Canyon, arriving at the bottom of the canyon after 3 or 4 miles. The road crosses the dry wash (or arroyo) that is the bottom of the canyon, a fine place for an early morning stroll.

Arroyos are grand places to walk: The sand and small gravel that have been deposited on the canyon floor as the rushing storm waters slow down and drop the load of sediment they have been carrying makes for a fine pavement and, usually, fairly easy walking. Then there is the lure of "the next bend." What indeed, is around "the next bend?" Canyons are seldom straight so the next bend is almost always in sight. Something about this arrangement is irresistible to me. There were some blossoms, even in October to be found around "the next bend."

gallery_5833_947_38515.jpg

gallery_5833_947_133315.jpg

My little stroll ended up taking me about 2 miles up canyon before the going got steep and the vegetation started crowding into the narrow canyon and I turned around to enjoy each bend all over again.

I have wondered for a while the nature of the road that shows up on my maps as a little dashed line skirting the eastern shore of Mono Lake. This seemed like a fine time to find out so I drove south on highway 359 which makes a long gentle curve from south to southwest then becomes highway 167 in California. The little dashed line turns south off of this highway.

It was a fine little jeep road indeed!

gallery_5833_947_31542.jpg

Past low sand dunes, tufa towers, warm springs, and fine views towards the Sierra Nevada it winds its way through the sandy terrain. About 16 miles long, it is definitely not a high speed road. With stops to admire the view it took me 4 hours to drive it. I guess one could drive it in 2 hours non-stop but what's the point in that? It is very narrow and the bushes lean into the roadbed so you will receive the additional bonus of a desert pinstripe job! Especially at the southern end, the road travels through some deep sand. My advice is to air your tires way down for this one: It will save you several panicked moment of wondering whether forward momentum is going to get you through.

gallery_5833_947_52627.jpg

It was time now to head home, but what a full trip it had been!

Fantastic trip report of some familiar routes and a new one too. We'll have to check out Powell canyon next time.

Did you find the warm spring on the east side of Mono Lake?

From what I have read, it's not much of a spring. Some years back I drove that sandy track in a isuzu Trooper. The deep sand kept me on my toes. I've always been interested in returning.

Back
Top Bottom