GSI Outdoors Kitchen Stuff

brianjwilson

I'm trying to decide what cooking/kitchen stuff to buy for the camper. I'll definitely be using some throw away plates/bowls etc, but want to keep the weight and space requirements down for anything reusable.

So I'm thinking about the GSI bugaboo base camper set, the infinity 4 person deluxe tableset and the kitchen 23 set. Is anyone else using these? Any other recommendations for lightweight durable kitchen stuff?

Some links:
Bagaboo Pots/Pans
Infinity 4 Person Tableset
Kitchen 23 Set

I've got some GSI stuff, but have yet to use it. I've mixed feelings about the quality. Seems just good enough to be OK without being "nice", if that makes any sense. Then again, my prized camp eating/cooking utensil is my SnowPeak titanium spork which defines "nice."

I use the 2 burner Coleman white gas stove I've owned for 35 years. I cook in either a $10 frying pan with a fold up handle or a set of old backpacking pots. I eat with my fingers or utensils I grabbed out of the kitchen drawer. The wife brings a red checkered table cloth for that 5 star ambiance. Titanium would certainly save some weight, but I decided it would be more fun to retire at a relatively young age. :p

They'll have to pry my Griswold cast iron frying pan out of my cold dead fingers. :LOL:
I do like the lexan silverware & nesting mugs that swiped out of my backpack gear, might even be GSI brand.

We don't really have "extra" kitchen stuff since we moved across the country two years ago. We got rid of a ton of stuff and will do the same when we move back to Oregon soon. A coleman stove, basic tent and a couple of sleeping bags are the only camping items I have now, I gave everything else away when we moved.
I use to cook with a backpacking stove and some cheapo coleman mess kit (or a big pan over the fire), and burn the paper bowls and plates after eating. But the wife would like something a little nicer to use in the camper, and I don't want it to take up a bunch of space or weight. I'm not sure how much I would use most of the stuff really as I don't particularly like washing a bunch of crap. I don't like lugging around a bunch of garbage though either, and a lot of the places where I might camp around here can be really restrictive with fires, and some charge daily for fire permits. :rolleyes:

This stuff just appeals to me because it stacks neatly and it's light, though I'm not sure it's worth spending the money on it.

I guess I'm really wondering if anyone feels like it's worth having a set of lightweight, washable eating utensils. This will be the first time I've had access to a sink when I'm camping. lol

I use the GSI stuff and think it's really worth the money. Storage is so limited in these campers. I have a set of 4 pots with lids that nest inside one another....and take up very little space. The quality is very good and food never seems to stick.....so clean up is easy.

Not GSI, but we use a set of stackables from REI. Three pots with lids. We have a normal typical silverware drawer liner in one of the drawers with four sets of silverware and other eating and cooking utensils in it. Otherwise it is paper plates that we burn (or throw away when burning isn't allowed) and plastic beer type cups that we wash and reuse.

One pot, one pan, two titanium sporks, two steak-type knives, two quality mugs, two aluminum plates and two ceramic bowls- all the cheapo "campware" types. If the meal requires more than that, it's too complicated for us to cook. We actually put a paper plate over the aluminum one. The aluminum one provides the stiffness and cut-ability (<-not a word is it?), but then we burn the plate instead of washing dishes. Same goes for paper bowls in the ceramic ones. I try to avoid washing dishes as much as possible. That crust from last night's hot chocolate (my wife's favorite treat), flavors breakfast tea or coffee nicely :-0

One pot, one pan, two titanium sporks, two steak-type knives, two quality mugs, two aluminum plates and two ceramic bowls- all the cheapo "campware" types. If the meal requires more than that, it's too complicated for us to cook. We actually put a paper plate over the aluminum one. The aluminum one provides the stiffness and cut-ability (<-not a word is it?), but then we burn the plate instead of washing dishes. Same goes for paper bowls in the ceramic ones. I try to avoid washing dishes as much as possible. That crust from last night's hot chocolate (my wife's favorite treat), flavors breakfast tea or coffee nicely :-0

I have about the same and also do the paper plate over aluminum plate trick! To keep the pot and pan washing to a minimum, I try to cook most meals outside on my small Weber propane grill.

GSI stuff for cooking is pretty good. They have all types and configuration and I like the hard anodized aluminum stuff the best. All the nonstick ends up being stick with time. The plain stuff just seems to last longer.

Check out these nice sets here that the boys with boats use....Someone posted this here or on some other group but I cannot remember.

http://www.galleyware.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&catid=281&viewAll=yes&&sort=&searchQuery=&brand=&basePrice=&topPrice=

or here

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Cookware/cookware.html

If you are serious about camp cooking, some nesting pots, some cast iron, and some fire tools and you are set.

Good cooking!

dave

Hmmm, can't find the one I got at Cabela's anymore. Its a stackable set. I then add a few more pieces, griddle etc. I use paper more when I'm solo. The more I cook the more I don't mind doing the dishes. Seems more environmentally friendly too.

My camper's kitchenware is mostly stuff from the secondhand store, or was evicted from the household kitchen. How gauche.

Same here. Except my silverware. It is the HD clear plastic stuff from Walmart. I can carry enough weight wise that I don't have to wash them every day. :)

I used to use old second hand cookware too. I ended up getting some nice cookware for the camper since is all nests inside itself to take up VERY LITTLE storage space.

Here's a picture of all of the pots, lids and handles. The lids turn into fry pans too.

GSI_cookware1.JPG

Here's a picture of the pots nested.

GSI_cookware2.JPG

Here's a picture of everything buttoned up. It's the most bang for your buck in regards to storage.

GSI_cookware3.JPG

I didn't originally post about this set since GSI quit making it....but the idea of nested cookware is the same. Other companies make this stuff too. Storage space in these campers is very limited.

A buddy of mine was so impressed with the set he searched ebay and found a used one really cheap.

That is a nice looking set!

Unfortunately my budget for this stuff went to tie rod ends and lower ball joints for now, maybe next month. lol

Back
Top Bottom