Have a week off unexpectedly

craig333

Riley's Human
My line is shut down for a week next week due to lack of work. The unexpected part was my boss asking me if I wanted the week off. Yeah that took all of fifteen seconds to accept.

My initial thoughts were Black Rock Canyon. It is during burning man weekend, not sure if that would be an issue or not. I also considered Great Basin National Park. They do have some road closures there due to a nearby fire. Possibly the Alabama Hills with a side trip to Leavitt Lake. Unfortunately overtime is done for the year so I don't want to spend too much on fuel or I'd look at even further places.

Good for you Craig. I would avoid BRC during Burning Man. While most of the people stay at the event, many explore the area as well. The permit has been increased to allow 65,000 people this year. So if you explore somewhere nearby, like Soldier Meadows or anywhere else with hot springs, expect to share it with hundreds of people instead of the usual few if any. Great Basin NP has altitude and therefore may be cool. But it is a 10 hour drive. Pretty far. Eastern Sierras is a little closer and cool. Maybe explore the Trinity Alps. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy that week off.

How about Lava Beds, Thule Lakes and Medicine Lakes? Lots of history, geography and wildlife and very few people.

Has been a couple years since I've been up to medicine lake. Haven't been up to the Lava Beds since I worked for CDF. So many options.

Alabama Hills would be hot. I think that is mostly a fall or spring trip if you are going to stay there for multiple days. Leavitt is a KILLER spot. I would go back in a heartbeat, but still a bit of a drive from Sacramento. If you go to Leavitt, there are a number of other great areas to explore near Bridgeport and it could keep you busy for a while.

How hot? I'm pretty acclimated to the heat, heck Sunday I was out welding and cutting on the Jeep when it was 101 and humid. Felt just like work.

Given your opportunity I'd poke around a linear string of Gold Lakes, Humbug Valley, and up to maybe north of Chester.

I have an idea in mind. Will mean bringing the Jeep and the kayak. Lots of miles but all within CA. I have my meal plan more fully formed than my destinations. Fires will mean keeping plans fluid. I'm thinking Hwy 4 to start.

craig333 said:
I have an idea in mind. Will mean bringing the Jeep and the kayak. Lots of miles but all within CA. I have my meal plan more fully formed than my destinations. Fires will mean keeping plans fluid. I'm thinking Hwy 4 to start.
Craig,if you do use hwy 4 the campground at Union Reservoir is new and very nice.There are now 4 campgrounds 2 at Union West &east the west one is new site 15 is one of the best.Not heavy usage they are free and dry with nice vault toilets. Also 2 at Utica Res.
So far the smoke hasn't made it up there.We were just there beginning of the week,very nice spot for the kayaks.
Frank

I've camped at Union before. Kayak the lake and Jeep the Slick Rock trail that starts Utica. Hopefully still fire free by the time I get up there. Should get my trip off to a nice start.

craig333 said:
I've camped at Union before. Kayak the lake and Jeep the Slick Rock trail that starts Utica. Hopefully still fire free by the time I get up there. Should get my trip off to a nice start.
It has been fire free so far.Even with the nice lighting storm show Monday and Tuesday nights,there weren't any ground strikes that I have heard of.
The area has been cleaned up nicely,I think due to that you have to camp in designated sites.No more camp anywhere.
We have used that area for 30 years and have had a good time.
The water in both lakes is still at a nice level.
Have a great time.
Frank

Craig, I was up there (Medicine Lake)for a week right before the fourth, weather was bad-lot's of rain and I was surprised that -unlike the last time i was there-there were lot's of people :oops: in the upper CG's-I mean big RV types, it was not what I was expecting so I guess the summer world has descovered it. I was headed for Bulls Eyes Lake to do some primitive camping & fishing and thought i'd check out the other CG's-lot of people, private land and when I noted a smaller CG had just opened up and no one was there I pulled in and had it to myself for a few days-then the trailers started to arrive and even though there was plently of spaces' available they parked on both sides of my camp! A couple of days later the rains came RV's started to leave, and i had it to myself again, then I fell smashed my knee up and ended up with the dog for long rainy three days in the FWC... Maybe should have continued on with my original plan. Lot's of places still to see there, you'll still have some fun!

Smoke

My general plan is still in effect. Head out in the morning for highway 4 then work my way north. Very glad we haven't had any more fires pop up.

craig333 said:
My general plan is still in effect. Head out in the morning for highway 4 then work my way north. Very glad we haven't had any more fires pop up.
Have a good time -- wherever you end up. :)

Back
Top Bottom