Hawk Exterior Compartment Lock Replacement

Bwht4x4

Has anyone read Mello Mike's article on lock replacement and replaced theirs?
http://mellomikeswolfcreekcamper.blogspot.com/2013/03/replacing-your-worthless-ch751-rv-locks.html
I just replaced three of my CH751 locks and I wanted to give a HUGE recommendation for Industrial Lock and Hardware. http://shop.ch751.com/Tubular-Cam-Locks-CH751-replacement_c3.htm They sent out my order without the dust covers or charging me for them. I called and notified them that they forgot to add them to the order. Two days later I had the dust covers at my house free of charge. The locks were much better quality than the standard RV CH751 lock that the FWC and nearly all RVs come with. My Hawk now has locks that I can only open!

bHYrNuf27YGBrpWzEvx6jGqmHg0wMYcjl01laD5JEMk=w648-h864

A374vxjcSpIOTN3KsY35jw3IqBRynW6YfJC7qgkCONc=w648-h864-no

first Thing I Did, After Removing FWC's Website And Phone Number. Those Look Nice!

I also removed all of the FWC stickers too so that in time and with age they didn't look bad and start to crack and peel.

All it takes is a screwdriver to pop one open. Besides which theres really not much there for a thief to get anyway.

Any thief willing to damage the camper to get in, can and will get into that or even my truck. The lock is to keep those clever thieves with the CH751 key in hand and kids willing to vandalize things.

As far as value I agree the stuff isn't that valuable while sitting at my house, but if it was stolen while traveling it becomes a lot more valuable. For me the value of these items is related to the time to go out and re-buy them. I have a lot going on in life and I'd rather not have to spend the time to go out and find them all over again.

Agreed on getting non-CH751 locks...
Hell, I have 3 sliding glass doors at my house that have been modified to not allow removal from it's track. Funny thing is, if somebody really wants in, they just kick the glass and it shatters.

Good comparison in my mind. I do what I can to dissuade people from wanting in to my camper, so that they pick yours instead! Lots of zombies out there nowadays.

There is also a lot of corrosion on the inside part of the lock on my 4 month old camper. This is mainly for the compartment that holds my grey water setup.

IMO the best way to secure the propane tank is a short section of chain and a lock through an eye bolt that holds the tank in place.
If you do any ferry travel I think that locked propane tank doors are a no no.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
IMO the best way to secure the propane tank is a short section of chain and a lock through an eye bolt that holds the tank in place.
If you do any ferry travel I think that locked propane tank doors are a no no.
Frank
I plan on doing something like that with my propane bottles.
My main reason is I want quick access to the bottles. If there was ever a fire in the camper (stove etc.). I'd want to get my butt out of there asap and turn off the bottles asap.

As far as the ferry goes, just leave the door unlocked if that is a concern. I doubt there are too many propane thieves on the ferry.

Back
Top Bottom