Hawk on a 1st gen tundra

You might advise him to take some measurements. If he has the Access Cab version of the first-gen Tundra, I believe the bed-sides are only 17 inches high while the underside of the camper wing is 20-plus inches above the base. That's a good bit of gap. If I remember correctly, FWC built a special version of the Hawk for those trucks because of that shallow bed. Also, measure to estimate gap above the truck roof to the underside of the cabover. That gap may be in the six-inch range on that truck.

It's not necessarily a deal-killer but I'd want to be aware of that.

Edited to add:

Ah-- found it.... the Kestrel is the special version of the Hawk. See the middle photo in Stan's post for an idea of what a standard Hawk looks like on an Access Cab Tundra.

What is the Kestrel model?

Old Crow is correct. The wide part of the Hawk sits above the Tundra bed rails. I bought some extra siding from FWC and covered that part, since it was only painted plywood above the floor pack. The overhang of the Hawk sits quite a bit above the Tundra cab and a wind fairing is recommended. There's plenty of threads on that.

i-PnLZzDJ

[SIZE=10.5pt]I took a different approach and Velcro'd a 3” thick strip of solid foam insulation board to the vertical sections [L,R and front] above the bed rails and up under the L/R horizontal Hawk overhang….insulation, for winter use primarily…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Our Tundra is the mirror image of LH's in the photo but ours is an SR5...HD rear anti-sway bar, Firestone air bags [rear] and Cooper AT3 ..E/rated 'pizza cutter' tires on OEM alloy wheels...receivers front and rear for Warn winch on a tray when needed....all Victron conversion [including Dc/Dc charger], BB 100 aH, 360w roof mounted Zamps on FWC Yakima rails....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I added the Yak wind diverter over cab and used Yak towers/bars to construct a shallow tray for gear on top of cab...[/SIZE]

Piggybacking on this thread, as I have a slightly different gen 1 Tundra that the OP -- standard cab, long bed. When I first started lurking in this forum I had convinced myself that a Grandby shell was the way to go to keep the weight down but still make use of the long bed. However, it appears that many Grandbys are just slightly too wide for the Tundra lift gate "pillars" -- I'd basically had to angle grind off where the bed narrows slightly, where lift gate butts up against. Does that mean that the Hawk is the way to go for me? Or will there be other spacing/fitment issues? Hawk seems like a much more common used option than a Grandby, so that part I like!

JordyC said:
Piggybacking on this thread, as I have a slightly different gen 1 Tundra that the OP -- standard cab, long bed. When I first started lurking in this forum I had convinced myself that a Grandby shell was the way to go to keep the weight down but still make use of the long bed. However, it appears that many Grandbys are just slightly too wide for the Tundra lift gate "pillars" -- I'd basically had to angle grind off where the bed narrows slightly, where lift gate butts up against. Does that mean that the Hawk is the way to go for me? Or will there be other spacing/fitment issues? Hawk seems like a much more common used option than a Grandby, so that part I like!
Your fitment issue sounds similar to the one most chev/gmc owners have, in that the bed is rounded and camper is not. I modified the wooden floor pack on mine to get it fit easily.

My hawk sat on a 2006 Access cab for 3 years with no issues. he should be fine

Back
Top Bottom