Hawk owner needs advice for removal and storage

crookedtail

Hi!

I've had my Hawk on the back of my Toyota Tundra since I purchased the camper 4 years ago and have never taken the camper off. I don't have a level place where I can store it at home, so I'm planning on taking it to a RV storage place with level ground or hopefully a cement pad. I guess my main question is, what should I set the camper on? Since this will be stored outside, it seems like I want to get it as close to the ground as possible, since the jacks may not support the camper in a high wind. I was thinking 4x4x8 lumber or cinder blocks, but I don't know if that's going to work. Any advice on what would work best to set the camper on would be most appreciated! I'd also be very happy with any general advice on how to just take the camper off and store it properly :)

Cheers!

Crookedtail...

This is what me and alot of others are using for indoor storage, something comparable probably without wheels for a soft dirt surface outdoors should be fine.

On page four is a thread "Removal & Storage of Hawk" on saw horses designed for heavy loads and a sheet of plywood with the jacks lowered to within a couple inches of the pads or touching. There is another post that I can't find (have a printed copy at the office and will try to locate where it is posted). 3/4" plywood 4' x 8' sheet cut in half and then 3/4"+ wide cut 1' in on both. When you slide then together you have a cross which becomes one of two bases with a full sheet of 3/4" plywood set on top. Lower your camper onto that and lower your jacks. The post has great pictures. I will look on Monday.

In depends in part on whether or not you intend to get in the camper after you remove it. Some sort of platform to help stabilize the camper and provide floor support is always a good idea, but maybe not entirely necessary if it will be kept in an area secure from wind, snow load, people and other things that might topple it over and you will not be getting in the camper. I've kept my Hawk on a concrete floor with the weight shared between the jacks and construction grade sawhorses with a sheet of plywood. It was stable for getting in and out of. I have also stored it on a rough gravel pad, supported only by the jacks. I wasn't as comfortable with that, but I didn't have any problems and I did not get in and out of it.

Go to RV.Net, click on truck camper and you will find a post from today: How to store a camper with the plywood "X" pieces. As I said this appears to be the least expensive method, other than saw horses.

Back
Top Bottom