Hawk Solar and Enhanced Battery Charging System

Marco Cecala

Hawk Solar and Enhanced Battery Charging System

I need to thank countless members I learned from while working on my electrical system for our 2013 Hawk. I will do a post in the future regarding what we ordered for the camper and what we wish we ordered from the factory. There has been substantial interest in solar and charging systems so I would like to address those now. This is my experience; I’m no expert and might have a lot of things wrong. YMMV
Solar; We had the factory install 2-100 watt solar panels from Global Solar. They are direct glue and provide good power in all types of light conditions.
image002.jpg

The power was going through the Global Solar charge controller. Research showed me the batteries were not getting enough charging power. The Global Solar controller did not have a setting for AGM batteries. I installed a Morningstar MPPT Charge Controller with a remote meter I put in the place of the Global Solar unit. I made a metal plate and painted it with hammer finish paint.
image004.jpgimage006.jpg

Simply put, AGM Batteries need more power. Word around the campfire is because the charge has to get through the glass mats, they create resistance.
Batteries; We ordered 2 group 27 Deep Cycle batteries. The unit came with Exide batteries. Good for a surge of voltage to start a vehicle, not what we may need. I replaced them with Sun Extender batteries. The battery is meant for long term low amperage drain, kind of like you get when running the refrigerator. They are great and made a bunch of difference. In all fairness, the Exide’s were never properly charged and I feel they are now compromised.

image007.jpg

Shore Power; All FWC’s are now equipped with the Iota IQ4 charger, we were not so lucky. This easy, 25 dollar plug in add made our unit into one. I now get proper AGM charging with either solar or shore power. Please excuse the picture, it’s up and out of the way above the charger.image010.jpg

Alternator charging’ I never had any luck with the 10 gauge wiring connecting the truck battery to the camper batteries. The gang at Adventure Trailers in Prescott, AZ set us up with 4 gauge wire with a relay. We have switches in the cab and camper. They did this so when we leave in the morning and forget to flip the camper switch, it’s there in the cab. As with all their work, it’s first class and bullet proof. An Anderson connector makes the camper easily removable.

Switches in the cab and in the camper.image012.jpgimage014.jpg

The installation of the relay, plug and Mega fuse;
image016.jpgimage018.jpgimage020.jpg

I installed a Trimetric after all the festivities were over. Maybe I could have gotten away with fewer upgrades, but you are asking me to maybe have to drink warm beer.

Trimetric; Standard installation, I used the 50 amp shunt, plenty for the camper. The display is in a cabinet, too much stuff on the outside.
image021.jpgimage023.jpg

We run a refrigerator and some LED lights. A sure sine 300 watt invertor for when my wife needs to do in field photo editing. She photographs for major magazines and collectors and sometimes needs immediate feedback.
image026.jpgimage028.jpg
The breaker is left off except when we need the power. Add another plug instead of tapping into the shore power plug, make sure it is not a GFCI, don’t ask how I know.

Charges great. Also added an additional fan and exterior vents for the refrigerator. All those improvements have done the trick.

wow, we have a very similar setup. Except I installed mine on my 2003 Eagle. Curious how long can you boondock for with the fridge running and charging some devices with moderate sunlight. Will the system keep up? What fridge do you have? Thanks

Do you have a compressor fridge?
How many amps do you use with and without using the fan?

It seems to make a big difference in my setup. I wondered if other people noticed the same thing.

Thanks Marco. It's comforting to see somebody using Global Solar panels and enjoying them. Interesting that the only panels you can find now are 90 watts.

Looks like you have done a lot of wiring and components to your system, good job and thanks for sharing.
In the picture the wire lugs attached to the shunt you might want to place a washer between the spilt lock washer and lug to make better connection.

Attachments

• post-5191-0-18854000-1411435816_thumb.jpg
    post-5191-0-18854000-1411435816_thumb.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 196
The Next Adventures said:
wow, we have a very similar setup. Except I installed mine on my 2003 Eagle. Curious how long can you boondock for with the fridge running and charging some devices with moderate sunlight. Will the system keep up? What fridge do you have? Thanks
We can go until food runs out. 7 days is the record. I ran out of beer and we needed to find a store!!

DrJ said:
Do you have a compressor fridge?
How many amps do you use with and without using the fan?

It seems to make a big difference in my setup. I wondered if other people noticed the same thing.
We have a Dometic 85 liter 2 way. It draws 68 watts when running, the fan adds 3 watts. For me it was the combination of the exterior vents and the fan that really helped. You might just try the vents first. FWC did not install them on the 2 ways when we had ours built, I heard they all get vents now.
pvstoy said:
Looks like you have done a lot of wiring and components to your system, good job and thanks for sharing.
In the picture the wire lugs attached to the shunt you might want to place a washer between the spilt lock washer and lug to make better connection.
I know, looks kinda cheesball. Need to fix it. Good eye!

We have the exterior vent to but ours was a conversion from a 3 way fridge.
I actually have 3 fans set up and it does seem to make a big difference. I'm glad to hear it works well for you too. I noticed a fair amount of heat building up in the posterior part of the fridge until I added the fans.

camelracer said:
What information does the Trimetric give you that the Morningstar Monitor doesn't?
Others will know more than I, but here is my take.

The Morningstar only shows what is happening between the panels and battery. It does not show what is going out of the battery. Mstar shows current flowing into the panels and from there to the battery. The totals and logging show the amount of current put into the batteries for a given time.

Trimetric allows me to turn something and see what is leaving the battery. In addition, the current readings into the battery seem to be more accurate than the Morningstar.

Back
Top Bottom