Hawk vs Grandby

DrJ

I've always had the short bed (6.5ft) truck. But the more time I've spent in my Hawk, the more I wondered about having more room.
I've been considering moving to a Grandby or even a flat bed model.
I often camp with kids and use my camper often. Extra space is at a premium with our campers so I'm always trying to get creative.
Can anyone comment on extra living or storage space with the Grandby or flatbed models?
Is the extra 1-2 feet a big difference?
I know this might mean a change in truck or truck bed, but for camping I'm always willing to consider it.

There is never enough room. Our Grandby feels small, your Hawk must feel tiny. If I were to buy now, I'd go for the side dinette to get my big feet out of the aisle when The Bride is up and about.

I went from camping in a camper shell to a Hawk. The Hawk feels like a motel room to me. ;)

If I had it to do over I'd go larger. Its not a big deal to me since I'm outside mostly except for sleeping but as above, you can never have too much room.

The Hawk works for me as it fits my standard bed. If I had an 8' bed the Grandby would be the way to go for room, but that makes a longer truck. I am amazed at the number of people going to the Ravin to prevent the small overhang I have with the Hawk. 10" of space smaller would be a big thing for me.

Bill

I have a Grandby on a 6.5 ft bed F150. I don't have any experience with another camper to compare with the Grandby, but I like the extra bit of space. On the driver's side, I have the optional small window, which I always leave open a little bit. Sometimes. I run power cords through that window. The space next to the window is reserved for my son's video games and 12v TV. The game console, controllers and hard drive run off a small inverter. He also charges 2 hand held systems and a cell phone.
The passenger rear side has a cabinet. I put two plastic drawers on top of the cabinet. Inside the cabinet are four extra pairs of shoes and a hand held vacuum. The porta-potti fits under the couch, next to the cabinet. Hanging from the cabinet is a metal rack for the dust-pan, flashlights, maps, etc. The length of the Grandby holds a Sherpa table (assembled/open), a Rubbermaid storage tub, and portable plastic spa steps.

Joanne

There's 3 of us, me, wife, & 6 year old son in a Grandby with front dinette in a 6.5' bed. Can't imagine losing 18" in floor length. I've tweaked what we carry over the last 2 years and storage works. I augment with a couple of plastic bins and use the roof. The problem with more storage is you'd carry stuff you don't really need. At least that's what I've found. You can comfortably sleep 4 with the front dinette especially if two are kids.

First time with a camper and bought an F-250 with 8' foot bed and the Grandby with front dinette. Plenty of room, but even with two we have started developing a schedule. I get up, get dressed and go outside to set-up for breakfast. My wife keeps say, "And you think we can bring 2 grandkids along". I think she is right. My company pays for gas and I get a vehicle allowance. Needless to say they weren't happy about me have an F-250 for work so we had to come to an agreement, a little less on the allowance.

As someone said, "There's never enough room." But I do remember a conversation with a FWC employee who cautioned me against thinking there were only advantages and no disadvantages in moving up from a Hawk to a Grandby for my F-250 with a standard 6'8" bed. I'd have to leave the tailgate down which would interfere with using the hitch and towing receiver. I'd essentially have a truck with an 8' bed and all the parking and maneuvering difficulties that come with that. And experience shows that the more room, the more "maybe we'll use it" stuff people bring along. But, hey, that's why trucks, campers, boats and houses come in different sizes. Different strokes for different folks!

I had a Grandby, then a 9.6' Bigfoot, then back to a Grandby. About the only things I miss from the big Bigfoot (when already in camp) are the clothes hanging spots where I could keep bulky cold weather clothes out of the way, and the shower that you didn't have to set up to use.

I had several boxes of stuff that I took out of the Bigfoot that don't fit into the Grandby, and honestly I don't miss that stuff at all.

I certainly don't miss the white knuckle driving when the winds are over 40 MPH, which is the main reason I no longer have the Bigfoot.

I have the Grandby and would have gotten a Keystone if I could have found one in the neighborhood at the time. Space, IMO is the biggest complaint people have in general with FWC campers.

To answer your question, I've been in my Grandby as well as others, a few Hawks and two Keystones. I found the extra foot or so in the Grandby advantageous.

+1 on the Grandby! When the wife tags along never enough room or air in the Ride Rites, wanted to pack the Keurig one time :(

I've always had a 8' bed on my fullsize trucks for the extra room. I would of love to have a Keystone. If FWC would bring it back, I'd upgrade for sure. Room (storage) is at a premium. I had 9.5' S&S and loved the storage it had but as other said, you tend to bring a ton of stuff. We travel pretty light now days which is great and luckily we haven't had to spend a lot of time inside. Add a couple of dogs, saw, and few other things and there is just barely enough space. Sometimes I want to drag the flatbed trailer along so I'm not unloading or stepping over stuff. A flatbed truck would probably solve most of the storage issues.

raymondmom said:
I would upgrade to a Keystone hardtop as well.

Joanne
FWC is supposed to start the Six Pac line again. It will be their hard side offering.

Back
Top Bottom