Help I can't get my door to unlock

idahoron

I have a 2013 Hawk, I lock it using the separate dead bolt lock. Last weekend I was having a lot of trouble getting the key into the lock. When I got home I gave it s small squirt of silicone. The key went in great and the lock was working great. Over the last week I went in and out a couple times. This morning I go to unlock it and it won't unlock.
I can hear the mechanism inside the dead bolt moving. I work the handle on the door and it slightly opens to the dead bolt but that is it. I push on the door and I can hear the latch click so I don't think it is the latch.
Does anyone know how to get the dead bolt open? Can I drill out the dead bolt and replace it?
Any sugestions would be helpful before I go to drilling and cutting.

I would stop by a lock smith shop if you have one close by. Have them take a quick look at it.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Happened to me once. I used Tri- Flow with Teflon spray and haven't had a problem since (knock on wood!). A locksmith told me it's the best lubricant, it doesn't gunk up the mechanism. Might try that and see if you get better results; otherwise a lock smith does seem like a good idea.

The guts of the lock sound like it is moving. But the actual bolt is not moving.

I think the deadbolts are your standard house lock. You might just want to take it off and get a new one.

kmcintyre said:
I think the deadbolts are your standard house lock. You might just want to take it off and get a new one.
That would be the plan but the door is locked and I can't get to the screws to take it off in the normal fashion.

Go to lock smith , if they can't get in they may drill out lock or tell you to then just replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Idahorn you can look at or purchase a similar deadbolt. To see why the key cylinder is not retracting the strike. If the tail pc on the end of the cylinder came off, you might try a thin knife or putty knife to work the strike back with the cylinder in the unlocked position.
Good luck

I'd be tempted to take it to the locksmith to not only replace the cylinder but also change it to one that works with my house key. Or replace the deadbolt assembly with one that allows that to be done. That may not be possible (depending on your house locks) but it's worth a look. You might want to call the locksmith with the manufacturer and, if possible, model number of your house lock and the camper lock to get an estimate in advance. (also-- see post 268 on this thread if you have Kwikset locks)

Otherwise.....

First thought is can you open the deadbolt from the inside. Does your side-window have a slider and it happen to be unlatched? (That's a possibility on my older Hawk, not sure about yours). How about the front window? (I'm thinking you can rig up some kind forked end for an extendable tent pole, car-wash brush, etc)

You say in post 4 the guts seem to be turning. That suggests the key goes in properly and turns. Does it turn as far as it normally does (to fully retract the bolt)?

If the key is indeed turning as far as it should, are you sure it's the separate deadbolt keeping you out?

Have you messed with the bolt in the door-handle assembly at all? If so, are you sure that bolt is retracted? (On my Fastec lock assembly I can tell if the bolt is retracted by key-slot orientation. If the slot is horizontal and the key is out of it, the bolt is retracted.)

Since you say the door handle (the flip-out handle) opens and the door opens a bit, I assume that latch isn't locked.

Also- can you tell who the manufacturer is of the separate deadbolt? Model #?

Also- for those interested in how things work, here's an interesting video about re-keying Kwikset deadlocks. The tail piece CougarCouple mentions can be seen around the 2:25 mark.

Old Crow said:
I'd be tempted to take it to the locksmith to not only replace the cylinder but also change it to one that works with my house key. Or replace the deadbolt assembly with one that allows that to be done. That may not be possible (depending on your house locks) but it's worth a look. You might want to call the locksmith with the manufacturer and, if possible, model number of your house lock and the camper lock to get an estimate in advance. (also-- see post 268 on this thread if you have Kwikset locks)

Otherwise.....

First thought is can you open the deadbolt from the inside. Does your side-window have a slider and it happen to be unlatched? (That's a possibility on my older Hawk, not sure about yours). How about the front window? (I'm thinking you can rig up some kind forked end for an extendable tent pole, car-wash brush, etc)

You say in post 4 the guts seem to be turning. That suggests the key goes in properly and turns. Does it turn as far as it normally does (to fully retract the bolt)?

If the key is indeed turning as far as it should, are you sure it's the separate deadbolt keeping you out?

Have you messed with the bolt in the door-handle assembly at all? If so, are you sure that bolt is retracted? (On my Fastec lock assembly I can tell if the bolt is retracted by key-slot orientation. If the slot is horizontal and the key is out of it, the bolt is retracted.)

Since you say the door handle (the flip-out handle) opens and the door opens a bit, I assume that latch isn't locked.

Also- can you tell who the manufacturer is of the separate deadbolt? Model #?

Also- for those interested in how things work, here's an interesting video about re-keying Kwikset deadlocks. The tail piece CougarCouple mentions can be seen around the 2:25 mark.
I don't have a sliding front window, and the rest are all locked. I just don't see a way to unlock it from the inside.

The Key does turn both ways to the proper spot for it to lock or unlock. I can also feel something moving but I am sure the bolt is not retracting. I have never locked the other two locks on the latch or even tried them. I am not sure what else would be keeping me out other than the bolt not retracting.

I can't tell from the outside who the mfg is on the dead bolt.

Back
Top Bottom