Help Plan My SW Trip

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
In late winter and well into spring of 2016 or 2017, I am hoping to travel through the Southwest, hitting the big parks, and maybe the not so big places. It will primarily be a photography and seeing the sights kind of journey. Most likely with the travel trailer, and possibly with the pop top on the truck for occasional trips away from base. Here's the itinerary that I am thinking about, so if you have ideas on additional places, routes, great campsites (dry camp and hookup), museums, etc. feel free to make suggestions.

DVNP
Valley of Fire, Nevada

Mojave Preserve - Hole in the Wall
Joshua Tree NP
Anza Borrego SP
Organ Piple NM/P
Saguaro NP
Petrified Forest NP, with maybe a visit to Montezuma’s Castle NM
Chaco Canyon NP
Mesa Verde NP -> Canyon de Chelly NM -> Canyon of the Ancients -> Hovenweep
Cedar Mesa - Natural Bridges NM
Valley of the Gods
Monument Valley
Maybe back to Moab for some time in Arches and Canyonlands
Maybe to the St George area for Bryce and Zion
Maybe a trip to Page for Antelope Canyon and Vermillion Cliffs/Grand Staircase - Escalante area

My best guess is being out at least three months.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like quite the Grand Tour.

Other Utah stops you may want to consider adding are Dead Horse SP, Gobilin Valley SP, Capitol Reef NP & Kodachrome Basin SP.

The Utah state parks are well operated and most have shower facilities available at no additional cost.

The Pinnacles East of Ridge Crest, CA
Dinosaur National Monument
Canyon de Chelly
Wupatki National Monument

I love the SW, went to some of those places last year

Went from So Cal to: Wickenburg AZ Prescott AZ Sedona AZ Page AZ Grand Staircase UT Escalante/Petrified forest UT HWY 12 to Capitol Reef UT (HWY 12 is one of the top ten most beautiful drives in the world) Moab/Arches/Canyon Lands UT Mesa Verde CO Gallup/Albuquerque/Santa Fe NM Winslow/Meteor Crater AZ Route 66 to Kingman AZ Route 66/hwy 95/hwy 62 through 29 palms back to Socal This trip was more about the journey but the destinations were all pretty cool!

Possibly Natural Bridges and while in the area House on Fire Ruin also Grand Gulch. Be aware that there are length restrictions in Mesa Verde so you'll leave the trailer behind before you head up to the dwellings.

I second the comment about Hwy 12, absolutely gorgeous.

I'd try and hit DV first hoping for a wildflower bloom then get south and work my way back north following the cactus bloom.

Not sure how far east you're planning on getting but Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend NP would both be on my list if I had that much time.

Cayuse, I've not made it to Grand Gulch, but I love House on Fire. Hwy 12 is on the list. I'd like to spend more time in the Cedar Mesa area, too. Natural Bridges has a few ruins and rock art that are hidden in plain sight.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: If you haven't seen House on Fire, or been to Cedar Mesa, here's what you're missing...

10045885336_76d2f33a74_c.jpg

I will second TuffGuy's recommendation for UT state parks. We spent a night at Kodakchrome Basin in the midst of a 30 day trip through DV and So Utah last spring and were blown away at how nice the park campground was there, especially compared to the sorry state of CA parks. Took two free hot showers in 18 hours to wash some of the dirt off. The setting is spectacular, surrounded by red cliffs with lots of nice easy hiking around the park with great road access.

Capitol Reef is also a great location and much, much less overrun than Zion, Moab, Arches, etc. A 4WD drive up to the Cathedral Valley is most definitely worth it.2015_03_26_1429-PS-framed-sm.jpg

daverave said:
I will second TuffGuy's recommendation for UT state parks. We spent a night at Kodakchrome Basin in the midst of a 30 day trip through DV and So Utah last spring and were blown away at how nice the park campground was there, especially compared to the sorry state of CA parks. Took two free hot showers in 18 hours to wash some of the dirt off. The setting is spectacular, surrounded by red cliffs with lots of nice easy hiking around the park with great road access.

Capitol Reef is also a great location and much, much less overrun than Zion, Moab, Arches, etc. A 4WD drive up to the Cathedral Valley is most definitely worth it.
attachicon.gif
2015_03_26_1429-PS-framed-sm.jpg
Cathedral Valley is spectacular! Next time I do that circuit I'd like to take my time and spend a night at the campground that's halfway through the drive. I think there is also a way to get from the Cathedral Valley loop to Goblin Valley without getting on 24 and going through Hanksville, I'd like to try that sometime as well. And then while in the area the San Rafael Swell is another place to spend some time.

Montezuma's castle ok i guess. Montezuma was never that far north, so they say. Mesa Verde is real interesting. Arches ok, Monument valley better. Did part of Canyonlands, liked alot. Want to go back and camp. Make reservations a head of time. Was full early sept.. A lot to see out there. Enjoy when you go. Mitch

Remember that even in late spring Moab and much of Canyonlands can get HOT!

Zion is beautiful but even when we were there off season is was astonishingly over-crowded. As in I've never had to look both ways and then "merge" into the stream of traffic on a TRAIL before!

Comb Ridge out of Bluff is very nice and not too many people. Also Mule Canyon west of Blanding is great. But then everywhere around there is beautiful.

I also hear that (cough, cough) Durango is a nice town.

Second Comb Ridge, Cedar Mesa and House of Fire. Probably ought to add getting a permit for Moon House too. You could spend months out there.

So many places to see. You will have 3 months but you will be busy. How about the San Rafael Swell (The Wedge Overlook is fabulous and check out all the rock art panels) and Grand Staircase? I also second the Valleys: Cathedral Valley, Valley of Fire, Goblin Valley and Valley of the Gods. Butler Wash Ruins near Bridges are pretty cool, a quick and easy hike and we camped overnight in the parking lot after talking to some locals. If you are near St. George, check out Snow Canyon State Park. For photographers this entire Colorado Plateau is a technicolor dreamscape. We may see you out there.

daverave said:

Capitol Reef is also a great location and much, much less overrun than Zion, Moab, Arches, etc. A 4WD drive up to the Cathedral Valley is most definitely worth it.
attachicon.gif
2015_03_26_1429-PS-framed-sm.jpg
Dave, excellent photography. Thanks for sharing!

I've seen trailers on the Dugway but don't know how comfortable I'd be. You can usually watch a bit and see if there is any traffic before heading up or down, but I'd leave the trailer parked in Valley of the Gods or at Muley point - great places to camp anyway. Also Goosenecks State Park is right near there, and free.

San Juan Goosenecks from Muley Point:
_D8E2169-Edit.jpg

In rough terrain, we will probably leave the trailer at a base, then explore using the truck and camper, or just day trip.

Nice photo Charlie!

Squeeze in Mount Whitney if you're up for some hiking. It took me about 10 hours but it was definitely worth the effort to climb the tallest mountain in the lower 48. I got "attacked" by some cute little rodent who rushed my shoe then after successfully defending his home, took off. Some of the coolest views a long the way, below the treeline you get a great view of the desert terrain in the distance while you're surrounded by waterfalls and mountain lakes. You need a permit so apply early because they can go quickly.

Attachments

• image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom