Hi Lift Jack FWC

Yes sir..mounted to the back of the camper..

Attachments

• hilift.jpg
    hilift.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 197
Anyone ever actually use their high lift jack? I have heard they can be kinda dangerous..... Maybe I would need a class?

Hello Happyjax
Go to hi-lift web site I think they have inf/ video.
You can google also!
Yes can be dangerous I have seen someone knock themselves out fro the handle come up and kiss their jaw like a pro boxer. Never get over the top of handle.

Yes have one, have used them, not on this rig.

Russ

Number 1 rule with a handy man is to use the handle from the side-do not jack it directly from in back of the jack. Why-sometimes they recoil/slip and the handle snaps back and if your head is in the way you are in trouble! Ya if you can get a class on them-even on the internet-it will help allot because they are very helpful tool to have. On most new trucks you will need to get a bumper adapter to use it-it also doesn't hurt to get a base plate. In a pinch you can also use water and pee to lube them-really!

Smoke

Happyjax said:
Anyone ever actually use their high lift jack? I have heard they can be kinda dangerous..... Maybe I would need a class?
You definitely have to be careful. Mine is around 40yo and I have used it on a number of occasions but I now have an off road base and a lift mate which I mostly use these days to lift a wheel up so I can put rocks under it. I used it to change tires when cars had actual bumpers but I was younger and dumber in those days. There are videos showing safe use practices and I'm sure you can find some showing unsafe practices as well.

Used improperly they can be deadly. They can also get you unstuck when nothing else works. Like Charlie said, watch some videos of safe hi lift practices. Only watch the unsafe ones if you have strong stomach.

I carry a bottle jack and pad to set it on instead of a high lift. Not sure if that will serve the need but it may be safer in many situations (probably not very useful in deep mud and the like I suspect).

I use the bottle jack because I have a full size Dodge Diesel extended cab 4WD truck and it weighs around 6600 pounds before the camper and gear go on. Total weight with camper and gear is probably around 8000 pounds. I am not comfortable using a high lift jack on it.

An appropriately sized scissor jack would probably work as well as a bottle jack but with similar limitations. Other options include the ARB (or equivalent) air lift bag or even a manual screw or hydraulic ram lift (similar to camper jacks or Hydra-lift or FOC jacks). Floor jacks are just too heavy and bulky for my likes.

Regards,

Craig

Hi stormfishing
Found a link that I was thinking of when I read your post. I thought was a good read. I would not say to be afraid of thes tools as they are Versatel and useful. A skillsaw is a very useful tool, but must be treated with respect . Good luck with what ever you decide.
Russ

I started using a Hi Lift in the 70s. They were cheap and extremely useful back when vehicles had intrastate guard rails for bumpers. They are still useful but I've seen far more damage to modern vehicles simply because streamline designs and new material to improve aerodynamics do not lend to good lift points. And when you start improvising with a Hi Lift, that is where you can run into safety issues.

I haven't carried my Hi Lift in over 3 years and haven't run into a need to have it. I now carry a 6 ton bottle jack with accessories from SAFE JACK along with a Wolverine DH15DP shovel.

SAFE JACK also carries accessories for the Hi Lift.

But like others have noted, the most important thing is learn how to use a Hi Lift correctly and when you improvise, think through the process about 6 times before trying the technique.

Before I could afford a Warn winch as a teen, we used Hi Lift jacks and chains as "come alongs". They worked great. But, like anything a teen does, we were mostly ignorant to the notion we could get hurt doing anything. We broke more chain trying to free stuck trucks and jeeps than you can imagine and lucky for us, nothing more than scapes and bruises from flying chain.

In the military I learned an acronym for this...
NAFOD No Apparent Fear Of Death!

Hi Lift jack is a great tool when used correctly and as intended!

I bought a Hi-Lift for my Taco but found that there was no pick up point that could be used without fear of body damage. And since I didn't feel like buy custom bumpers I went with a Safe Jack kit. It's a heavy duty bottle jack with lots of extensions and base plates, etc. It seems like a good kit and is a lot lighter than a Hi-Lift and works under the truck rather than outside where the jack interferes with the body work. Lots of options and accessories. https://safejacks.com/

I've got sliders and that is where I've used my Hi-Lift in the past.
I do like that safejack though. Probably would have bought one had I known about them before the Hi-lift.

Shadyapex said:
I bought a Hi-Lift for my Taco but found that there was no pick up point that could be used without fear of body damage. And since I didn't feel like buy custom bumpers I went with a Safe Jack kit. It's a heavy duty bottle jack with lots of extensions and base plates, etc. It seems like a good kit and is a lot lighter than a Hi-Lift and works under the truck rather than outside where the jack interferes with the body work. Lots of options and accessories. https://safejacks.com/
You posted before I could. Ditto on my response. First let me say I carry a HiLift in my Jeep and always have. I admit mostly used for others but I have it. The Jeep has aftermarket bumpers front and rear and welded sliders. So I have lift points when needed.However my Superduty has no lift points for a HiLift nor would I try even if it did. The Safe Jack gives me a warm fuzzy. I have a warn winch bumper and winch so that helps too.

We carry a compact floor jack that has had its wheels replaced with a full length skid plate. When first built it looked like this:
i-JN4q576-M.jpg

It has seen a lot of use and been toted 10's of thousands of miles since the 2003 Baja 1000 pit effort that it was originally built to help support.

ntsqd said:
We carry a compact floor jack that has had its wheels replaced with a full length skid plate. When first built it looked like this:
i-JN4q576-M.jpg

It has seen a lot of use and been toted 10's of thousands of miles since the 2003 Baja 1000 pit effort that it was originally built to help support.
Now that is a smart idea!!! I might need to work on something like this!!!

Back
Top Bottom