Homebrew grey water tank

snow hunter

One thing I miss about my old Toyota dolphin Rv is having a grey water tank mounted on the truck for dish water.

I wanted to be able to use the sink if I am in a location that is not able to have a container outside my rig getting the dish water draining out, like in a city street or parking lot.Or just the convience of not setting up that system for fast sink use with outside containers in view.
I decided to make a low budget grey water tank that is mounted under the truck and still easy to get to with low visibility or being in the way.

I used a old hose cut to length, a 2.5 gallon plastic gas can ,old hose spltter and a section of old romex wire.

First I cut the hose to the right length with allowing some flex and then made a hole in the bottom of the plastic gas tank to fit the hose snug.
I then mounted the gas tank upside down with the romax wire to the underside of the bed by my spare tire so when the gas cap unscews your water can drain out into a 5gallon bucket just under the back bumper and out of sight.The hose is then mounted and tied and WA LA. Simple Mod.

I can use the system with out filling the tank as well if i just leave the gas cap open.
Or bypass the tank all together with my hose splitter mounted at the drain connector.
I like having the grey water tank outside to free up space inside, but this does limit use in the winter with freezing temp.I have seen another set up that had the tank mounted inside under the sink but he had to remove or drain it ouside by removing container or draining into another container.

One thing I might do later is mount a hose inside instead of outside by tapping into the drainline under the sink and running the hose iniside threw the truck bed and therefor hiding the hose from the outside.This would look better and be more insulated, but this was fast and dirty and a prototype.

I hope this helps create some new ideas for you all.

Attachments

• gray water 002.jpg
    gray water 002.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 412
  • gray water 003.jpg
    gray water 003.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 443
  • gray water 004.jpg
    gray water 004.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 393
I like it!

Definitely on my list of things to consider as I refurbish my camper. Thanks.

That is a great idea! 2.5 gal a perfect. I was thinking about doing something like that but would just get a little container and put it under the sink. It would be nice not to have to set up a exterior tank on the ground. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom