Honda 2000 Generator/Shore Power

hkyfsh

Maybe a dumb question, but can I hookup my Honda 2000 generator to the power cord used for shore power on a Hawk? Would I then be able to use the 110v outlet and also would it charge the batteries as if it was connected to an AC outlet? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should have no problems as long as your power requirements don't exceed the generators output rating(watts)

The Honda 2000i is a very good generator. I don't have a furnace in my camper so I use a very small electric heater. this is the one I have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ULR14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it on low and it has a thermostat on it. I can set mine and it will turn on and turn off, I like that a lot.
If I turn it on High the generator runs on high. The Honda handles the whole camper very easy even with the electric heater.
I have a extended run for my generator. I like this for not having to refill gas.

img_170163_0_c10b50a16b6ca06e448a62b2794ee6e9.jpg

azon.com/gp/product/B0007ULR14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh boy ... Generator is a bad word on this site. I use the Honda 2000 because it is more versatile than the 1000 (Read My GF can use a curling iron and straightener). It is especially nice in the very cold -20 C when I need to run the heater all night. It only uses a couple of bucks in fuel over night.

Yeah I know the "G" word on here, but doing a 40 day trip to Alaska and back, and after living there I know there are days at a time where there is not enough sun to recharge the batteries via solar, so this is a backup if need be. Plus it was an excuse to get one for running a few small things at home if needed :p

I don't have solar because I mostly use my camper in winter to stay in ski area parking lots. I was going to get a 1000watt Honda but ended up with the 2000watt and I am glad I did.

When it is cold (0*F -18*C) the fan on the 18k BTU furnace will draw down the batteries (if low) almost as fast as my smart charger will charge them. So with a 2000watt Honda (I think it is 1600w continuous) I can turn off the propane furnace and run a 1000watt electric heater or portable induction cooktop and save propane while charging house batteries and notebook, MP3 etc.

Would a 1000 Honda handle everything if you didn't have an AC unit? I've often tried to come up with a reason to get one, but to date I've only needed one on one trip (no Sun for seven days).

OK...I admit, I really appreciate being in the boonies...no people, no glaring lights and only the sound of coyotes or a stream....if you are someone like myself, a 'neighbor' with a generator is worse than a bunch of drunks yelling and screaming..or finger nails on a blackboard..

BUT I do understand when a generator is needed and appropriate...also know that newer portable generators can be a hell of lot quieter than the ones in that 40 RV foot or tour bus....so I would consider buying one for the "what if" trips but prefer to plan around needing one..space/weight/cost/fuel/fumes/noise things to consider for sure...

Honda makes great generators! Crank 'um if ya got 'um...but remember those folks in your AO..

Phil

Honda 2000 is a very nice generator. I don't tote it often, only when I have to take my portable 2.5 gallon kegerator which uses about 3 times more juice than my Engel. I have found since I installed the Blue Sea ACR battery separator recently, I don't think I will need a generator again. Frees up a lot of space in storage under the side dinette seat. No solar, because too shaded anywhere I camp.
To the OP, plug it in, just be mindfull of your neighbors.

BrianG said:
Would a 1000 Honda handle everything if you didn't have an AC unit? I've often tried to come up with a reason to get one, but to date I've only needed one on one trip (no Sun for seven days).
Yes I am sure it would. I don't have a furnace and my generator is set on eco mode. With my fridge on gas, and all 5 lights on ( led lights) the number of watts my camper pulls is 348 watts. I don't have a furnace to test I use electric or a buddy that has no power use.

idahoron. 348 watts for just the 5 LED lights is 29 amps @12v. Is that right?

cwd

I take my Honda 2000 along when I think I will camp for a few days in shade or if it's supposed to be cloudy a significant amount of time. I never run it after dark or early in the am as I don't much like listening to them either.

They are down the list irritating-wise from people who think I want to listen to their guitar playing and people who cackle when they laugh, though. ;)

cwdtmmrs said:
idahoron. 348 watts for just the 5 LED lights is 29 amps @12v. Is that right?

cwd
It is not just the lights. When you plug in to the shore power the battery charger kicks in when you plug it in.

Back
Top Bottom