Honda Ridgeline - 2nd gen has arrived

srileo

Its here finally:

http://automobiles.honda.com/new-ridgeline/

Looks very promising. 1600lb payload claimed on some models. On the whole, a very appealing package. Not sure if it is something I'd put a camper in, but makes for a great family vehicle. We are considering one - used.

Certainly better looking than the older models, but still esthetically challenged IMO.

cwd

I like it.

People might buy a lot of them for family vehicles.

Still looks too much like an SUV? (just thinking about how that thing will handle with a camper on it ??).

Not sure how much of a "truck" it will be ?

I do like the look of the truck bed though.

MUCH more promising than the old Ridgeline, as we did not want to build a camper for the older vehicles.

:)

Stan,

You know it's going to take a trap door in the floor of the camper to get to that trunk ice box. ;) I'd like to see that.

Paul

PaulT said:
Stan,

You know it's going to take a trap door in the floor of the camper to get to that trunk ice box. ;) I'd like to see that.

Paul
Been thinking about this one since the trap door is so huge. Lots of nice storage down there. Remove the trap door (few bolts), and put a smaller trap door in the camper. Or use it for more permanent camper items (water, battery, ?), though really would want those heavy items toward the front. All conjecture for now until we actually get more complete Ridgeline data.

Reliability of a Honda/Toyota. Ride/control of a RAM. If reported 1600lb payload is true, then it can carry a couple more hundred camper pounds than a Tacoma. SO....... IF it can carry an 800lb Four Wheel Camper like one made for a Tacoma Crew cab + 500lb of "me&stuff", IF it has at least the off-road ability of an 4x4 SUV (though I WANT more, I probably don't need it), IF it has much better gas mileage then the past 15MPG Ridgeline or as good as current Tacoma2.7Xtra or RAM3.6 reg cab, and IF it costs less than $30k, then it has made it to my list of what-I-did-on-my-2mo-summer-vacation-trip-to-Alaska vehicles. Lots of "IF's". Need more info, but it may not come in time. Honda is keeping that useful information to themselves for now, because....... ?? if I knew it, I would buy something else?? Well, I have a very short vehicle list. I'll be happy with any of them. Still would be nice to see if the Ridgeline would be good with a FWC/ATC like camper.

Watching all our neighbors and coworkers dump all the Honda products like hot potatoes the past couple of yrs. Failed transmissions being a big reason, failing steering boxes, parts quality issues the list just seems to get larger and larger. My brothers Civic eats front pads like no tomorrow because the caliper brackets are not square. Huge lawsuit was lost by Honda on that one. He got a $150 pay out from that big lawsuit. I just think Honda Automotive has been ignored by the suits far far too long and us hurting in the good engineering dept today. I love their outboards and Motorcycles they are by far the top brand for engineering, performance and durability. I have one of their outboards and rode the wheels off my last Honda bike.

CALIcamperdad said:
Watching all our neighbors and coworkers dump all the Honda products like hot potatoes the past couple of yrs. Failed transmissions being a big reason, failing steering boxes, parts quality issues the list just seems to get larger and larger. My brothers Civic eats front pads like no tomorrow because the caliper brackets are not square. Huge lawsuit was lost by Honda on that one. He got a $150 pay out from that big lawsuit. I just think Honda Automotive has been ignored by the suits far far too long and us hurting in the good engineering dept today. I love their outboards and Motorcycles they are by far the top brand for engineering, performance and durability. I have one of their outboards and rode the wheels off my last Honda bike.
I agree that Hondas do not seem as reliable as in the past (my brothers '88 Accord has over 400k miles on it and still going, whereas my '03 CRV, which still looks and basically acts new except a front end scraping and clunking noise, has a variety of front suspension issues that just get worse each time it is fixed). However, compared to the whole 'Truck' group per Consumer magazine data, the Ridgeline has been very reliable compared to mid and full size pickups. It could be argued, and I would agree, that the past Ridgeline was not a truck, but rather an urban SUV with outside box (Trucklike Utility Vehicle TUV some call a 'trucklet'), so it never saw real 'truck' work, making it easier to look more reliable than real trucks. I still think/hope Honda still has their emphasis on reliability and will create a competitive mid-size truck that can be used for something more heavy duty than hauling a few bags of mulch & manure in the suburbs. We will see. Happy to like or hate it. I am not brand loyal, as I have had some bad Fords, Chevys, Dodges, and now Hondas, but I also have had wonderful vehicles in each. I also have a Honda outboard and have owned Honda bikes - love them.

Back
Top Bottom