House charge from truck

Dirt Rider

I know it has probably been talked about a lot, but looking for an easy way to see if I am getting a charge from the truck when driving, like looking at the volt meter while reeving the engine or something. Ran 8 gauge to the trolling motor connecter, but does not seem to add to the battery when driving.

If your house battery is not dead, the truck will bring the voltage up to 14.2 +- at idle if you have it wired correctly. Just put a volt meter on the battery terminals and read it.

M5040 is correct, the voltage at the camper battery should be higher when the truck is running. That is assuming the solar charger was not already elevating the voltage.

If not, then check at the truck battery first. IF that is also not higher, then you either have a dead alternator or battery. If it is higher, then trace the charging wire to the next connector and check there.

Truck battery is good, but even after a long drive the house battery is still low after a weekend out. If I plug it in it comes up pretty quick. Just curious how well the and quick the house should charge up when driving. Will have someone rev the engine while looking at the meter unless there is a better way?

Is your battery monitor blue tooth enabled? Then you can sit in the truck and rev the engine while watching the charge go into the battery.

I used to have both volt and current gauges in my old truck that monitored the juice going from my truck to the camper. That was super handy, but took a few hours to wire up.

OP doesn't say what truck he has but-
Charge voltage depends on the truck-

On my 2020 F150 there is a "battery management system" that controls charge voltage.

Usually the truck runs around 13.2-13.4 IIRC- not enough to effectively charge the camper battery.

BUT- you can unplug the sensor on the negative battery post and it will run around 14.6-14.7 all the time when running.
Makes a big difference in charging.

Nevertheless I did eventually add a Renogy B-to-B charger inline to properly charge my single 100AH lithium battery. It does double duty as also controlling the solar charge to the battery.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Sky-P, quick question. Which Renogy B2B are you using, as in how many amps? Thanks in advance.
It is the 30A model. So far with a single 100A lithium battery and a rooftop 100W solar panel it has worked great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom