how much should a 1980's 4 wheel camper weigh?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
Anybody know how much a 1980's 4 Wheel Keystone camper should weigh? It's the 9' model. I weighed my truck a few years ago and it came in at 6600. I weighed it last month with the camper and it was close to 10,000 lbs. I keep wondering if one of the scales is incorrect, but both were certified scales at truckstops (2 different truck stops). I'm not sure how much fuel I had the first time the truck was weighed, but had 1/2 tank of fuel and about 5 gallons of water when the camper was weighed, plus a bike rack and a couple bikes (about 100 lbs), but that's about it. I don't have a weigh station nearby to easily stop in and check it again.

Just wondering if anyone know how much the camper alone should weigh. The silver tag on the back of the camper is worn smooth after 30 years, so I can't get any info off that.

Thanks!

I'd guess your camper fully loaded is 1500-1800 pounds. My 1993 8' Grandby tips in at 1500 ready to roll.

I guess the scales must have been off. I took the truck with the camper (albeit no bikes, no camping gear, etc) to a different scale and it weighed in at 8800 lbs, as opposed to 10,000 at the last scale. The 8800 is more like what I would have expected. Thanks for the input on your campers weight Scout.

The weight of the basic 1980's Keystone camper no options no water in the water tank was listed at 1095 pounds. By the time you have your camping gear, water, and personal stuff in the camper it will be at least 1300 pounds. Add options like an awning, battery bank, solar panels, etc and you will likely be pushing 1500 - 1800 pounds.

We have a 1993 Dodge W250 Clubcab diesel long bed 3/4 ton that we use to carry our 2007 FWC Keystone. I would not want to carry it on a lighter duty truck. I can comfortably go off highway with our setup.

Our previous camper was a 1984 FWC Keystone. We used the same truck for that camper.

We love our 2007 Keystone camper but it is narrower inside than the 1984 model because the newer campers are built for newer trucks that have a narrower tailgate opening than the older full size trucks.

If you buy an older used camper be sure to check and make sure it will fit though the tailgate opening of your truck.

Back
Top Bottom