how to decide which gas struts to use?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
This is a little off topic, but you guys seemed to have figured out lots of unusual things, so here goes:

My 5th wheel has a queen size bed with storage underneath. Under the mattress was a very lightly constructed platform that was cracked and sagged, so I put a sheet of 1/4" plywood to strengthen it. This worked well for the bed, but now the gas struts that are supposed to help lift the bed are really underpowered. The bed lifts longways from the foot of the bed. The struts are placed about 3/4 the way towards the foot of the bed.

I removed one of the struts - its' about 19 3/4" eye to eye. It's made by lift-o-mat and has the following numbers on it: 753858 0456N 200/96.

I'm trying to decode the part number to see if I can figure out the strength/weight rating, and just upgrade to a heavier strut, but haven't found anything online that makes sense.

I can't figure out how to determine how much strength/weight rating I need.
Any idea?

Thanks!

EDIT: after checking out youtube for ideas, I came across hatchlift.com who has bedlift kits, plus they say to email them if you need to update your existing bedlift. I'm hopefull they can solve my problem!

If that doesn't work out, I'd try giving Liftsupportsdepot.com a call. They appear to have Lift-O-Mat, various ways to search, and spec tables on their web site. But a phone call would probably be easier than searching.

Back
Top Bottom