How to grease slides without making a mess?

68 Siesta

Advanced Member
Ok, so I may not have an Alaskan, but I think this is the one forum in the world that may be able to help. My camper is a 1968 Siesta Telescopic Camper. I restored it a couple years ago.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1461118917.063365.jpg

It works very much like an Alaskan except raises and lowers with a cable and pulley system.

One consistent problem is keeping my slides greased so it will go up and down smoothly without over greasing it and getting grease all over where I don't want grease:

ImageUploadedByWander The West1461118846.777631.jpg

Unless I keep it WELL greased it doesn't slide up and down smoothly and over stresses my lift system.

My question is what type of grease do you use on your Alaskan campers and how do you keep the grease from getting all over where you don't want it?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

For systems like that I wonder if motorcycle chain wax might work? I use Maxxima brand aerosol chain wax on a lot things other than motorcycle chains. Food for thought anyway.....

The manual, kindly pinned above by DirtyDog, says use Vaseline or silicone grease. I've used Vaseline. It seems to stay put well.

ntsqd said:
For systems like that I wonder if motorcycle chain wax might work? I use Maxxima brand aerosol chain wax on a lot things other than motorcycle chains. Food for thought anyway.....
I think this is a great idea. I don't have any experience with motorcycle chain wax, but after some internet wondering I think it might be just the ticket. Have any other Alaskan officionados tried this??

huskyrunnr said:
The manual, kindly pinned above by DirtyDog, says use Vaseline or silicone grease. I've used Vaseline. It seems to stay put well.
I never would have thought of vaseline. This is also a great idea. Thanks or the input!

I use spray slide out grease for RVs on my 74 Alaskan CO. It dries, yet lubes without picking up dirt. Easy to use. Available at RV stores. Other greases in my experience create a mess as dirt, lint, etc.adheres. Try it out.

Old school.....I've treated wood working tools with this for many years and have used it on the guides as well.

shave beeswax in a small container with a top...preferably thick glass or metal ...with a good screw top

pour in a small amount of gum turpentine and mix with a small stick until you reach a consistency of a paste...like tooth paste or wheel bearing grease. fill the container about half with this mixture...adding small amounts of shaved beeswax and gum turp alternately until you have the small container about half full..BTW, I use an old artichoke heart jar.

Now cut a small square of a canvas material...or relatively fine burlap...any material with some holding pores...about 6-8" square.

scoop out a small amount of the beeswax mixture and apply to the guides...pushing the fabric in the curved edges of the guide.

When you have all of them lubed...place the rag/fabric in the jar and put the jar in the camper...it will last for years and if it dries out too hard just add a small amount of turpentine to loosen things up. An old 35mm metal film canister would work too....just dont make the mixture too thin so it runs....think paste wax.

BTW...this is a great surface protection for table saws, hand saws, wood plane faces, router bases and metal surfaces which need some protection from weather without leaving a scum finish or a lube which picks up dirt or dust.

voila.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom