How to repair a rock ping?

Hello,
On the trip back up to Alaska from Sacramento with our new Grandby we picked up a rock ping, see photo. It almost but doesn't quite reach the level of a total breach of the covering.

I'm going to get one of those protective films put on soon, but before I do that, what's the best way to repair a ping like this? I doubt I'm the first one to get hit by a rock.

Thanks,
Michael Stallings
2017 Grandby on a 2011 Tundra

Attachments

• IMG_1062.gif
    IMG_1062.gif
    113.7 KB · Views: 115
Maybe a place that repairs hail dings. Though I would be concerned with the thin aluminum cracking. I think I would leave it. Our 2014 Grandby was apparently bumped by a truck at the storage place after our first camping trip. The storage place checked their cameras but didn't see anything. The dents are at the passenger side corner, just missing the amber running light. The heavy aluminum front piece also was dented behind the thin aluminum. I would have felt better if I was the one that did it
I have small matching dents on the other corner from overhanging trees. I wouldn't do anything and I wouldn't put anything on it
Jd

More complicated fix would be bondo, but when you do bondo, you have to do it right from start to finish or it will never look right, plus you will need to match the finish so you can paint over it. The white would be pretty easy to match, but it might take some work to match the silver spur finish.

Epoxy would work and you might be able to find it in the correct color. Mix it thick and put a piece of packing tape over it till it cures.

If you can't repair it, maybe you could cover it. I've had to hide problem areas on my campers before and one way is to find an appropriate tag or emblem and stick it on the offending area. Here’s a picture of my Shasta that somebody had put a hasp on the door to padlock it. The two emblems hide the old screw holes pretty well. A small decal would probably work also. Or just call it character and leave it.

Attachments

• screwholecovers1.jpg
    screwholecovers1.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 107
Maybe you should ask one of those businesses that come out to you to repair small dents on your car. They use high powered suction to "pull" dents. It might be that your's is too severe, but it would not hurt to ask for a free quote.

The aluminum is paper thin. I would be concerned that doing anything to pull it out might cause a fatigue crack. I wouldn't do anything. Those vacuum pull tools are designed to repair hail damage and other small dings, but on a thick steel auto body.

I would fill the "ping with a little epoxy putty and then cover it with a custom made four wheel decal or a travel decal of some kind. There is no way you can pull out that deep of a ping, because the aluminum is stretched too much. Trying to fix it will just make the area around it worse. Leave it alone, or cover it to hide the "ping"!

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I patched it using the material in the photo two weeks and 900 miles ago and it seems to be holding up well. It's kind of spongy, even after it's cured, so it probably won't expand and contract as temperatures change. It does the job I wanted it to: keeping the weather out.

Attachments

• weather sealant.jpg
    weather sealant.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 95
mstallings said:
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I patched it using the material in the photo two weeks and 900 miles ago and it seems to be holding up well. It's kind of spongy, even after it's cured, so it probably won't expand and contract as temperatures change. It does the job I wanted it to: keeping the weather out.

Good call and thanks for idea.

Back
Top Bottom