How to replace floor pack?

trasko

Advanced Member
This seems like a question where if you don't already know the answer then you shouldn't bother... but that's not my style. Anyway, I am wondering if it's possible to replace the floor pack while the camper is on the truck. And if not, how does one handle the frame while re-doing the floors? If you put it on saw horses then it seems like you'd still be limited in your access.

Till today I figured the screws went down from inside through the frame into the wood. It didn't make sense but I didn't see any screw heads on the outside. Today after tearing the inside all out I saw that they had to come from below. After a closer inspection (and tearing away rotting wood) I found the heads of the screws buried in the wood so far you couldn't see them.

1195881919_hybUC-L-1.jpg

If you're replacing the whole floor pack I think you're likely going to need to gut the interior of the camper since the cabinets and such are likely screwed to portions of it. Are you just fixing part or the whole thing?

I wouldn't be doing any of this on the truck personally. It'd be a combination of the camber sitting of the floor or jacked up a bit if I needed to get under it.

If you're replacing the whole floor pack I think you're likely going to need to gut the interior of the camper since the cabinets and such are likely screwed to portions of it. Are you just fixing part or the whole thing?

I wouldn't be doing any of this on the truck personally. It'd be a combination of the camber sitting of the floor or jacked up a bit if I needed to get under it.

I'd like to do the whole shebang:

1201105033_KAJYv-M.jpg

The upper-most horizontal pieces on the sides (pictured above) are by far in the worst shape, but I figure if I'm tearing in to the thing then I should just get it over with. I was figuring there was probably no short-cut to this. It's just there is no place for me to take the camper off and work on it. I live in the city and out front is a steep hill (as is the driveway). I'll figure it out one way or another, though.

This seems like a question where if you don't already know the answer then you shouldn't bother... but that's not my style. Anyway, I am wondering if it's possible to replace the floor pack while the camper is on the truck. And if not, how does one handle the frame while re-doing the floors? If you put it on saw horses then it seems like you'd still be limited in your access.

Till today I figured the screws went down from inside through the frame into the wood. It didn't make sense but I didn't see any screw heads on the outside. Today after tearing the inside all out I saw that they had to come from below. After a closer inspection (and tearing away rotting wood) I found the heads of the screws buried in the wood so far you couldn't see them.

1195881919_hybUC-L-1.jpg

I S'pose you could also change the spark plug wires with the engine runnin' if'n ya' *want* to.

I would want to build a substitute floor and then switch 'em. You might be able to do that with the camper over the truck bed, but what do you gain?

It's just there is no place for me to take the camper off and work on it. I live in the city and out front is a steep hill (as is the driveway). I'll figure it out one way or another, though.

Ouch, you're really going to want a flat place to work on this. At a minimum to build the new floor pack so its square, etc.

Ouch, you're really going to want a flat place to work on this. At a minimum to build the new floor pack so its square, etc.

I agree it needs to be flat; it just doesn't have to be level. What if you flipped the camper over onto its back? You'll have to block it up to protect the racks and vents and so forth; carpet the blocks to protect the aluminum roof.

It should-ought to be do-able then.

I think I'd just cheat and ask the guys at fwc/atc how they'd do it. But I do have a lazy streak :rolleyes:

When we are building a new camper we flip the frame.

But I'm not sure what they do when they are replacing the wooden camper base on an older camper ?

(we just don't do it that often)

Most people don't want to spend the money to have a professional shop do it.

Just gets too expensive.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 336
Also note that Stan's picture shows the flipped camper sans roof, sans innards, sans damn near everything. From your pics, it appears that your camper is pretty sans as well, but I would not trust the roof if you flipped it. At least on my camper, the roof is convex. It would not stay convex if flipped.

Thanks everyone for the input. Yeah flipping it sounds crazy but I might end up going there. I'll have to remove the roof to put the new side-liner in so... it could happen. I need a work space that isn't the bed of my truck!

I didn't do anything with the camper today although I did make a great new tool to help w/ disassembly. Pulling those staples out is tough and time consuming. I've wanted to make this tool ever since I first read about it. Vise-grip slide hammer! It works like a champ.

1202362496_R2iXA-L.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input. Yeah flipping it sounds crazy but I might end up going there. I'll have to remove the roof to put the new side-liner in so... it could happen. I need a work space that isn't the bed of my truck!

Off hand I personally wouldn't bother flipping a whole camper, I think it'd be easy enough to build a new base and slide it under a cribbed up camper.

However if you're taking the top off, gutting the inside, etc. then perhaps. But you're going to need some bodies around to flip it w/o damage or getting hurt. Keep in mind the factor has lifting equipment for these tasks.

Either way you're going to need some working space...

I'm a recent 87 Fleet owner and in the process of a similar renovation. I gutted the inside of my camper and would like to replace the floor pack because now seems like a good time. I'm thinking of running some 2x4s down the sides of the aluminum frame above the floor pack, screwing them to the framing, and then supporting the ends on jacks(or posts). Then the weight of the camper is supported by the aluminum frame and the floor pack is free. Pre-build my new floor pack and swap them with the camper up in the air. This does involve pulling some siding, but is about the only way I can think of doing it with the camper upright(it need to be off the truck).

You guys are making me real happy i unloaded my camper and repainted the floor pack. Hopefully that buys me many more years before I have to do what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom