How to stop sway in the trailer hitch?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I've got a 4 Wheel Camper in the bed of my F250. It sticks out about 12" from the end of the bed. I like to travel with my bikes, so have a hitch mounted bike rack. To make the bike rack work, I have a 12" hitch extender that I use (I sometimes use 2 extenders to allow me to open the door. The problem is that each time I add an extender, the bike rack gets more sway. I looked at Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Stow-Away-StowAway-Hitch-Tightener/dp/B0001CMUV4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productDetails

Then I noticed a comment in the review section that this is identical to a "U bolt channel beam clamp" - like this: http://www.drillspot.com/products/66950/Caddy_BC17A000EG_Beam_Clamp
This one is no longer available, but I found a number of them online for around $5.00.

Has anyone tried using either the Amazon version or the electrical supply version? I'm thinking for $5,00 I'll pick up a couple and see how they work. I'm wondering if the hooked end of the clamp goes onto the hitch itself, or if it just pushes against the hitch opening. I guess I'll check the fit when I pick one up at the elect supply store.

Years ago I bought a HollywoodRacks hitch mounted bike rack. It has a "no-wobble-no-tools" system that works really well. I even modified it for my tandem.

It's a slightly complicated fab job, but I've built-in a draw-bolt wedge system similar to the old school bicycle stem wedge on both our large bike rack and on my swing-away fuel jug carrier. With the draw-bolt tight all wiggle is removed and you can't even remove the hitch pin.

I'll suggest not using two extensions back to back. If you need the length try to find a single that is long enough. Or make one/have one made.

I'm with Thom.

Here's some photos of a friend's long bar extender.

img_84925_0_dcc776d2d8764f74fb4550f0b6a8dcb7.jpg

img_84925_2_7d4778b89cc96b331a1d57d16921864d.jpg

img_84925_4_d3147608003ef3fb2805f62e7331779d.jpg

I'll get some photos on the one I made in a few hours or so.
This technique is "rock solid".

Back
Top Bottom