I Hate Runningboards But !

Those are really nice, but $$.

My truck came with a full set of alum. diamond plate running boards. I never considered having running boards and planned to remove them. But they sure come in handy to reach the latches, so they remain.

I have been looking at the AMP steps also. Seems like a good solution as the fixed steps are banned here, right? :)

Found some reviews and they all seem positive, plus the price isn't too horrible. Amp review

My thought is to eventually make some rocker rails with a small kick out offering a step. For the money those powered steps cost you could have what I'm talking about fabed. Food for thought.

Poached picture of what I'm generally what I'm trying to describe:
95-04%20truck%20010.JPG

Never been a big fan either but my truck came with them when I bought it used. The wife and I love them! You don't know they are there until you open the door and even at stock height on a 3/4T they help a lot. Only down side I've had is people constantly asking me about them when they notice them :D

Here in Snow Country I believe they are a >must have< item to keep the chems and cinders from taking the paint off the side of yer truck.

Thanks for the input guys. With Pam's arthritis it's just getting too difficult for her to get into the cab without pain. So I'm pulling the trigger on the Amp Research PowerBoards. It appears that besides $200 diff in price the Bestop model is made in China or at least not here and has a shorter warranty period. I'll give a full report she I get them installed.

Pods8, I like that concept. I've been looking for a truck step thats as unobtrusive as possible, I.E. does not hang down too far. So far, have not seen anything I like.

Jay,

I thought your motto was KISS.
Electric running boards seem like just one more thing to go wrong.

Running boards are just plain wrong. When I need help I"ll just have my man servant help me up.

But seriously, if you can't just hop in, don't forget to reinforce the grab handles too. I've had mine come off. Not fun.

CR,
When I saw the look on Pam's face last time she got into the Fiat I knew I had to act and the man servant ran off with the maid. Life is a series of compromises.

The thing I like about the AMP steps is that they actually drop down far enough to do some good. When up, they are completely out of harms way.

Looks like they also have led lighting now.

Pods8, I like that concept. I've been looking for a truck step thats as unobtrusive as possible, I.E. does not hang down too far. So far, have not seen anything I like.

Probably will need to talk to a fab shop for something like that, I don't think anyone has them in their stock catalog due to low demand (or build them yourself). The perk with a properly designed rock rail is they're supposed to be able to take the weight of the truck dropping on them (within reason) so they'll protect the truck from something that would otherwise be causing some damage to the body.

@Jay-

These guys are south of me a piece -- http://www.toughcountry.com/ -- pretty good guys. They might sign you on as a dealer. ;)

I've been to their shop. They're plain honest fellows.

Probably will need to talk to a fab shop for something like that, I don't think anyone has them in their stock catalog due to low demand (or build them yourself). The perk with a properly designed rock rail is they're supposed to be able to take the weight of the truck dropping on them (within reason) so they'll protect the truck from something that would otherwise be causing some damage to the body.

Not just that. A proper rock rail is also another jack point.

Back
Top Bottom