I weighed my truck, Tundra

idahoron

I have been sick for the last couple days. I got restless and decided to go down to work today and weigh my truck. I have a 2005 Tundra Double cab. I had a full tank of gas and all my hunting gear in the truck. The only thing I didn't have was a tank of water because I drained it and winterized the camper.
I pulled the tires just on the scale. The front axel weighed 3100 pounds.
Then I pulled the whole truck on and it weighed 6700 pounds.
I took the truck off the scale and backed it on with just the back tires just on the scale. It was 3680.
My truck has the firestone air bags and 10 ply tires. The camper is a Hawk base model with a couple extras.

That's pretty good, IIRC the GVRW is around 6600 lbs. Must feel good knowing that your in the ballpark.
Cheers

I guess the double cab weighs a bit more than an access cab.
Mine on the scale with most of Ron's same stuff,minus the hunting gear.But the camper ready to go except food,was 6400#.
Frank

I'm new to this forum and to truck camping. I have a 2006 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4WD. I'm interested in the Hawk with options. When I calculated the weight it came close to what you listed. Add in my wife, 20 gal of water, food, and propane and I figure about 7,100-7,200lbs. My question is how much weight is too much? I've started to think about selling (giving) my truck to my son and look for a used 3/4 ton. Thanks JM

JM,
My 2 cents - Hawk weighs around 1400 pounds dry. The door sticker displays the Gross (GVRW) weight of the truck. Have it weighed empty without the tailgate. Add 1400 pounds. Then compare to GVRW weight on the door sticker

If I remember the Tundra is rated at around 1800 pounds carrying weight. The axels are rated about 300 more pounds than the Gross weight. LT tires should be rated for 2,000 pounds per tire so you should have a good cushion for humans and camping gear, food, water.

Your (all up wet weight) will probably be over GROSS but under axles and tire max loads. The brakes are designed to stop " X " amount of weight in " Y " feet. You may have to drive conservatively and MAY have to use the transmission downshifting a little more, but it is more than doable. AND Most of us remove the campers when not camping so it would only be an issue some of the time. If you like the Tundra keep it. When your ready to trade then move up to a 3/4 ton truck.

Jim, Thanks for information and Idahoron thanks for posting the weights. As I mentioned I'm new to this and have found this site to be great. The expertise, experience, first-hand accounts, equipment and passion are inspiring. We are putting a lot more thought into how we are going to use the camper, how much camper we need, what options are essential, etc. After tent camping for all these years it's easy to get caught up in all the conveniences. Anyway the whole weight issue has been the hardest to get my head around. We're heading out West this summer and hope to stop in at the FWC dealer in Denver and get a good look at the different campers. In the meantime we'll keep reading and checking out what different folks are doing. Thanks Again. JM

Ok JM,
Oh I reread my Post and realized I was unclear with a suggestion. I fixed the reply with the following..." Have it weighed empty without the tailgate. Add 1400 pounds. Then compare ti GVRW weight on the door sticker"

I might be wrong but the sticker is for the P grade tires that were on it stock and no firestone bags. After a guy up grades the tires and suspension then the sticker would not be a valid for what the trucks GVRW would actually be would it?

Changing tires and suspension systems does not increase GVWR. My F-150 has a GVWR of 8200 lb versus a 7200 lb for a standard F-150 because the payload package comes with larger axles/bearings and a stiffer frame as well as tire/suspension upgrades. An F-250 has even larger axles and bearings and more frame. Going over axle or GVWR rating is hoping the truck maker has an extra margin.

Back
Top Bottom