I wish we had these in the USA!

generubin

Electric Baja
This is what the Vanagon "wish I was a real 4wd" Synchro wishes it could be. I sure miss my Mitsubishi L300 with full ladder chassis, 2 speed transfer case, 1.8 liter diesel gets great mpg, short wheel base yet a huge amount of internal space. Even with a row of 8 Nato fuel cans across the rear, we still had plenty of space to sleep. Sliding door on each side was a welcome bonus.

We did 6,000+ miles through north African Sahara without a hitch. Though I spent plenty of time repairing less fortunate vehicles along the way.

Attachments

• Algeria.jpg
    Algeria.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Death Valley 3.jpg
    Death Valley 3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Sahara 6.jpg
    Sahara 6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 285
nice! what the heck was the bumper made from?

The bumper was a factory "bull bar" with a bracket for the highlift and PSP aluminum sand ladders. Ironically, the only time we got stuck enough to need the sand ladders and highlift was when we'd visit a small town and leave the vehicle unattended. The young boys loved the prank unlocking our hubs. Soon as we left town and hit the soft Sahara sand we'd be sunk to the axles.

At times we had 700 to 800 miles between towns and fuel.

I used toyota hiace in the bahamas once while I was in south andros that was a cool little van pretty much the same idea full frame 4x4 solid axle with lock outs and a diesel. That thing had a ton of room in it. I would love to find one of those stateside as well.

Be careful about dissing other peoples rides. Volkswagen Syncros are indeed 4WD and capable.

https://vimeo.com/43476654

Back
Top Bottom