IKEA YTTRAN faucet for vintage Alaskans

Keith in Co

Advanced Member
The original sink faucet in my 60s Alaskan 8’ NCO has always been of limited usefulness both because it is so small it only reaches the corner of the sink, and as it was plumbed to shore water only. I wanted a faucet which was higher above the sink for washing pots, pans etc, which could be plumbed to use both shore and onboard tank water, with a vertical height less than 8”, and which would fit the existing counter space. I also wanted a single handle, and a stem which could swing out of the way when needed. The YTTRAN model from IKEA has all the specifications I wanted, and at a very good price.

To my surprise, the YTTRAN fit right in the same hole as the original faucet, without any modifications. Even the supporting brackets fit perfectly under the countertop. I am rarely so lucky! Using PEX, I replaced all of the line from the shore fitting to the new faucet hot water line. I rented a PEX crimping tool from a local hardware store for $5. Then I ran PEX from the faucet’s cold water line to my Flojet 12v pump, which then runs to the 20 gallon tank at the front of the camper. Armaflex pipe insulation helps keep the lines from freezing.

When the faucet handle is in the hot side position it pulls from shore water (if any), and when in the cold position it pulls from the tank. This arrangement does require precision because if the handle is set in the middle (normally for warm water in a home setting) it could push shore water into the tank until it overflows, or pump from the tank out an unused shore water port. Of course, a shut off valve on each line would prevent this problem, and allow isolation of each source of water.

My camper is equipped with factory overhead cabinets, and the height of the YTTRAN is ideal as it can still be operated with the top half of the camper lowered, and yet provides a good space above the sink for washing under the flowing water. The swing/pivot is preset for 120 degrees, which allows me to swing it completely out of the way to either edge of the sink, although it can also be adjusted up to a 360 degree swing.

Attachments

• 722AB146-AEBD-4243-9001-CF7D22A7DEFE.jpeg
    722AB146-AEBD-4243-9001-CF7D22A7DEFE.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 9628EE26-FF1D-4F12-A85D-BDB8875CD077.jpeg
    9628EE26-FF1D-4F12-A85D-BDB8875CD077.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 262
  • C50AB5EE-E43B-4FD1-90FA-82F3E01516DB.jpeg
    C50AB5EE-E43B-4FD1-90FA-82F3E01516DB.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 205
Back
Top Bottom