Indian Valley - July 2021

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We got away from the heat into the local backcountry and took the Lady's new knee on its first adventure. You are welcome to tag along. The story and photos are posted to our blog and can be found here -

Indian Valley - July 2021

We hope you enjoy! :)

I’m glad the Ski3pins and the Teds had the opportunity to get an outing together. Some of it sounded great, the jerk in the Dodge made some of it not so great. I hope you got his plates and turned him in.

The Lady’s knee appears to be coming along nicely!

Thanks for letting us tag along!

Great report with a fine outcome. We do understand that feeling of being at home when alone in the boonies. Congratulations on the successful knee surgery. Wishing you many, many more wanders in the west.

Thanks for the trip.That area is so beautiful.
We have always enjoyed the crest area of Ebbetts.
In our times hiking along that short portion of the PCT
from hwy 4 north past Kenny Lakes has always been a fun time.
We hope to get up into the high country after a trip up coastal Ca.&Or.

Glad to hear/see Julie on her new knee.
Frank

Mr. Sage, thanks for the nice comments. About the guy in the gold Dodge Ram, we've all seen stupid people in the outdoors but every now and again a star is born. The Lady is working hard and it's paining off. :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I’m glad the Ski3pins and the Teds had the opportunity to get an outing together. Some of it sounded great, the jerk in the Dodge made some of it not so great. I hope you got his plates and turned him in.

The Lady’s knee appears to be coming along nicely!

Thanks for letting us tag along!

AWG_Pics said:
Great report with a fine outcome. We do understand that feeling of being at home when alone in the boonies. Congratulations on the successful knee surgery. Wishing you many, many more wanders in the west.
Thanks for very nice comments. We plan on lots and lots more adventures. We are not going down without a fight. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for the trip.That area is so beautiful.
We have always enjoyed the crest area of Ebbetts.
In our times hiking along that short portion of the PCT
from hwy 4 north past Kenny Lakes has always been a fun time.
We hope to get up into the high country after a trip up coastal Ca.&Or.

Glad to hear/see Julie on her new knee.
Frank
Frank, thank you for the kind comments. We've backcountry skied more in the Ebbetts Pass area than we have hiked. It is a part of the Sierra Nevada with a unique character, a special place. One aspect is the rich volcanic soil and the large junipers and western white pines. Another is the large mountain meadows.

Thanks for the kind comments about Julie and the new knees. :)

Occidental said:
Great trip, as usual, thanks for posting, and for the extra pics of the Tiger.
Occidental, thank you for the nice comment. Yes, The Teds' Tiger is sure a nice rig and a wonderful fit for them. And...............every once in a while the Lady and I get to thinking maybe, someday when we grow up we might like to have one. But, will we ever grow up? :)

Ski yes Ebbetts Pass area is a special place. When we had our cabin in Dorrington we spent a lot of time exploring in summer/skiing in winter.

We always felt that the area attracted a different type of people,ones who appreciated nature.

We are planning a trip there in Sept unless there are fires.
Frank

I'm glad to see you guys are getting out and writing reports again, and that The Lady's knee is working out well.

Lovely report and area. Your calm appraisal of the shenanigans of the dodge driver are priceless! I'm curious as to why the Lady was walking without poles, when Mrs Ted provides such a great example of how to use them? I've found them very useful when my knee is not cooperating.

Vic Harder said:
Lovely report and area. Your calm appraisal of the shenanigans of the dodge driver are priceless! I'm curious as to why the Lady was walking without poles, when Mrs Ted provides such a great example of how to use them? I've found them very useful when my knee is not cooperating.
Vic, thanks for the nice comment. There were a few other world class idiots out in the area - one guy launched his dog out of the bed of his lifted truck driving like, well, an idiot, and illegal campfires in fire restrictions - I decided it best to focus in on only one.

The question on trekking poles is a good one. The physical therapist has the Lady working on strength and balance along with proper walking. It was a deliberate decision to go without poles, walk slowly, and to train and engage the proprioceptors.

Sadly, the smoke you smelled must have been from the beginning growth of the Tamarack fire before it blew up last Friday

Mthomas said:
Sadly, the smoke you smelled must have been from the beginning growth of the Tamarack fire before it blew up last Friday
I've given it lots of thought and I don't believe so. There was an evident smoke inversion on the east side with smoke slipping through the passes that indicated smoke had drifted down to the south from (my guess) the Beckwouth. On our walk on Friday from the small lake to the Wet Meadows Reservoir, I got one whiff of smoke smell that I commented on. I believe that was the smoldering lightning strike. Also, as I mentioned that thunderstorm was accompanied with a good soaking rain so it's very understandable that it smoldered away until the the usual afternoon winds out of the west fanned it to life like blowing on your kindling to get the campfire going.

So glad to see you got out but I am sorry about the “entertainment “ you had to witness. TWICE! At least I had your beautiful pictures to bring my blood pressure down. :)

Back
Top Bottom