Inexpensive Camera for Night Shots

carld

What are your suggestions for an inexpensive camera for good night time shooting. I quit buying cameras after breaking one and accidentally throwing another over a cliff. I was climbing in CO and had the my Nikon camera around my neck along with coils of rope. As I pulled each coil off I accidentally grabbed the camera and tossed it. After that I have been relying on my iphone 6 and a rugged Canon Power Shot SX150. I'm thinking something like the Nikon COOLPIX L340.

Great website. I guess I need to study it a bit. Never been great with a camera and the price tag to start again looks a bit painful. In the past I haven't got the use out of the cameras I bought. Both my brothers take great shots. Gave an expensive Sony to one and a Go Pro to the other because they were just collecting dust just here. Guess I'll hold off. I like the website, see what there is to learn and experiment with what I got.

Thanks,

When you say good night time shooting, what does that mean to you? Long exposures generally require a tripod. Low light can be hand held with fast glass (f2.8 or better), higher iso and image stabilization, which can allow down to 1/15th sec hand held.

For climbing the canon G series or Fuji X series have been good for me.

I'll give a thumbs up for the G-Series. The newest, G-16, has night features. Wish I had held out, instead I got the G-15. But I've got a 6D for my nighttime shots now.
Lonelyspeck is a great website.

Thanks for the information. Now I'm hooked. I got a Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III from Amazon for $650 plus case for about $50 for my trip to Alaska. Unfortunately is not very dark in Alaska in the summer time. But I got some nice shots traveling there and back. Now Im back in Texas and cant wait to get on the road again. Headed to Colorado next week. In a year or so after I've used most of the capacity of the RX100 III I'm looking at the Sony a7s, with a f1.4 14mm lens. Here is the very first night shot I took and a few others. The last one was close to summer solstice and the moon had just gone down while the sun was starting to rise.

Attachments

• DAWR6942.jpg
    DAWR6942.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 54
  • MilkeyWayDevilsTowerWY.jpg
    MilkeyWayDevilsTowerWY.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 49
  • MilkyWayAustinNV.jpg
    MilkyWayAustinNV.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 48
  • MilkyWayGreatBasinNP.jpg
    MilkyWayGreatBasinNP.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 49
  • MilkyWayMoabUT.jpg
    MilkyWayMoabUT.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 46
Those Devil's Tower shots are great, carld. Looks like you are hooked. Sony has some great sensors and f1.4 is about as good as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom