Installing Stereo

travelingdan

Advanced Member
Hello all:

I bought my Grandby camper used and it didn't come with a stereo. Has anyone installed a stereo in their camper? If so, where did you install the stereo unit and the two speakers? Also, what did you wire the stereo unit to? I've thought about wiring the unit to the 12v plug below the sink, maybe even taking out one of the drawers and installing the stereo in its place. Any ideas would be of great help.

Dan

I had intentions of installing a stereo in the Hawk until I saw this unit.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_spk_csw&item=53CW0225AA000

these are RARELY on sale as they are right now. I paid the full $499 for mine and am damn happy with it....so for $349 it's a steal, IMO. Cheaper than (most) car stereo units w/speakers...and WOW...you'll be hard pressed to find much out there that sounds THIS GOOD. Damn thing just ROCKS the camper.....

either way...good luck with the quest for tuneage...

mtn

I had intentions of installing a stereo in the Hawk until I saw this unit.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_spk_csw&item=53CW0225AA000

these are RARELY on sale as they are right now. I paid the full $499 for mine and am damn happy with it....so for $349 it's a steal, IMO. Cheaper than (most) car stereo units w/speakers...and WOW...you'll be hard pressed to find much out there that sounds THIS GOOD. Damn thing just ROCKS the camper.....

either way...good luck with the quest for tuneage...

mtn

You can search the "What's In Your Closet" thread and see how I did mine.

I go portable. Most of the time I just prefer to listen to the sounds of the wilds. Thats a sweet setup but out of my price range.

Most places where I camp, loud music wouldn't be appropriate, so I invested in a good set of ear buds for when I want tunes. I'm with Craig about wanting to mostly listen to the sounds of wind and critters.

I go portable. Most of the time I just prefer to listen to the sounds of the wilds. Thats a sweet setup but out of my price range.

Ditto. I have small "boom box" made by iHome which is no longer available, that will play music from my iPod all night long with it's batteries at volume levels which allow easy conversation. I suspect it could rock the campground, but I like to kick back and not have the sounds of the environment stepped on by my music.

It was more of a statement that this thing cranks out quality than "hey, I think I'll park next to an FWC and ruin their night". FWIW, I'm very sensitive to such things. Alcohol, ATV's, stereos, RV GENERATORS...are all things you shouldn't bring/operate (or partake in) unless you are camped alone/away from others.

That is, unless you wanna hear Rob Zombie or some 2 Live Crew "shaking" (and this thing will shake) your camp all night long.
laugh.gif

rock on

mtn

When we ordered our Hawk we were going to install the sterio till we found this.
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/sounddock_systems/sounddock_portable/index.jsp
Sounds great! recharges with a small inverter. We love it. As a plus, it works in the house and while gardening outside.

XM Boombox, batteries or inverter, get real music where ever!

Do you get a signal in your camper with that thing?

I bought this guy for my Grandby for $29. Fits nice on top of the right side cabinet. Works great inside and out.

Fits nice on top of the right side cabinet.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-PD5098-Portable-Radio-Player/dp/B0002DG9XW

I already have a boombox, but I want to add a stereo. Has anyone done a stereo install?

Do you get a signal in your camper with that thing?

I have an antenna that I plug in and can stick on the roof, same as the home antenna. I have an older Roady2 that I use in the boombox in the garage that I plug into a receiver and just drag the boombox along in the FWC when I'm in the mood. I usually just listen to nature though and use the Roady2 in the car adaptor when on the road. In other words I can move the roady from the garage, to the front of the truck, and to the FWC. Not highest quality but I'm on VA disability for having blown up ears, was it the artillery or Jimi Hendrix :LOL:

Most of my trips are photography trips, so I'm up before sunrise and out until sunset taking photos - usually hiking or mountain biking all day. When I get back to my camper I want to relax, listen to music and have dinner. 90% of the time I'm not in a campground and I'm out on some dirt road, usually in a scenic spot.

Most places where I camp, loud music wouldn't be appropriate, so I invested in a good set of ear buds for when I want tunes. I'm with Craig about wanting to mostly listen to the sounds of wind and critters.

I have about 2000 songs on my lap top and a couple of satellite speakers that work great and it doubles as a dvd player. Pam loves dinner music and I like quiet so we listen to music. I prefer the view and quiet of the wilderness unless I'm with Gene Rubin and the Blue Grass Campers. I must admit that after the 4th of 5th Blue Grass tune they pretty much all sound alike but the group now plays western swing too so it's all good.

I already have a boombox, but I want to add a stereo. Has anyone done a stereo install?

Dan I put in a stereo i have photos in my gallery I have an 04 Grandby. I wired to the main fuse block and placed speakers near the water heater and under a drawer to the right of my fridge If you cant find my photos let me know and I'll post new ones....it is an easy install. I also ran wires to the outside and hook up speakers off the bed of the truck...Terry

Back
Top Bottom