Insulation Ideas for Poptops

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
I have bought a used Hawk with the arctic pack insulation. I haven't used it yet, but I may be spending the winter in southern Arizona or south Texas, where the nights can get quite cold.

If the arctic pack can't handle the severe cold, how does this idea sound: buy sheets of the 3/8-3/4 inch closed cell foam used as ground insulation by backpackers. Cut it to fit the canvas portion of the popup, and velcro it to the canvas on the inside. This could be a bit awkward, as it would be necessary to remove the closed cell sheets every time I lowered the roof. But as sailors say, "any port in a storm."

Does this idea sound workable?

It's definitely workable -- Members have done similar....mostly with different materials.
I -- and others -- have used Reflectix in the way that you're suggesting closed cell foam -- on the inside.
RicoV has wrapped insulation around the outside of the soft-side, with good results, he reports.

The downside of closed-cell foam (and Reflectix) is that it doesn't squish down for storage, so it's kinda bulky, and as you say, you have to remove and reinstall it each time.

Here are some previous topics related to insulation:
Insulation
Reflectix

The air space between the arctic pack and the vinyl provides some insulation. I have camped in my Eagle a number of times down into the 20's and been comfortable, albeit with the furnace running. I did cut Reflectix panes for the windows and have a sheet of it under the mattress for a little added insulation without much added bulk.

I've been camping in the teens with no artic pack and just the furnace running and I've always been comfortable. I have lots of battery and solar so I'm not worried about the furnace running all night. I keep a buddy portable heater as back up and if it got below single digits I would run both. I would be surprised if you "needed" to add more insulation but that is just my 2 cents.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Back
Top Bottom