Internet service on the road

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
We are techno neophytes and travel with no electronic toys other than a cell phone. Stepping into the 20th century (yes, I know that still leaves me a century behind), we are getting a netbook to check emails, the weather, and, of course, keep up on WTW while on the road. What do you use for internet service when traveling? Wait for wifi? Use your cell phone carrier? Something else? Thanks.

I've researched this a lot over the years Ted for obvious reasons :) In the kind of places we travel there aren't a lot of good options but I have been using my Blackberry as a cellular modem on the road to keep up with work. It's not ideal but its better than nothing. I switched to Verizon due to the fact they have better coverage in out of the way areas. If your cell phone can't double as a modem, you can get a little usb cell modem to plug in to your computer.

Now here's the crappy part: cell modem service cost something like 30 a month so during months I'm not traveling and not using it - I'm throwing money away.

If you're with Verizon, get the wireless air card. You can pick up 'net access wherever you have a cell signal.

Waiting to find wi-fi can be a bugger, especially now that more people & places are securing their networks, ie requiring a password.

My VZW cell phone has a tethered internet feature. I can turn it on and off by calling Verizon, so although it costs $49 / month, they will pro-rate the service down to a week or something, unless the time crosses a billing cycle.

Works great.

I lurk around motel parking lots and use their WIFI. But as KC stated, more and more places are getting wise to dead beats like me. Sooner or later I end up in a town somewhere. For gas, groceries, laundry what ever. I've found that the visitor center can direct you to free WIFI. As an example, the visitor center in Silverton Co has free WIFI. So does the Brew Pub in town. Also libraries are a good source of free WIFI. Moab has a brew pub with WIFI. I prefer the pubs for obvious reasons. The down side to pubs is, because of the poor lighting , after a few hours in one I'm more interested in finding a nice quit place to lay down and rest my eyes. :oops:

All that being said I'm thinking about going to a card. If I was you I would try using the freebies first before committing to a contract. Hope this helps.

Mike

I've been debating how to do this cheaply, meaning avoiding data plans that I would only really use when on the road and then a lot of places I go to don't have cell service. This weekend I was in the Gila NF and no Verizon service so it wouldn't do me any good anyway. While there are more and more password protected wifi spots there are also many more open spots, ie all McDonalds - no purchase necessary, and lot of restaurants like Denny's. And an Ipod Touch for $200 gets you wifi and internet access, no fees and for like $5 a year you can get texting. An easy tool to carry with you. The Ipad that comes out next month will have wifi capability, and GPS, and everything else it has.

I use a USB modem from Verizon both on the road and at home. Its kind of slow sometimes but I don't have cable at my house. This actually works better on the road many times than at home. Maybe I should stay on the road...

Back
Top Bottom