Iota Fuse issue

Desertboater

So I was cleaning out the cabinet space that usually houses my crate of pots/pans/dishes this morning after an unfortunate frozen ginger beer catastrophe (sticky mess) and found a 30 amp ATC style fuse in the bottom of the cabinet. In trying to figure out where it came from, I realized that the Iota Inverter was missing both fuses. I tried to put a new set of fuses (there are slots for two, both empty) but try as I might, there's no way I could force a fuse into either of the slots. Upon closer inspection of the old fuse, it looks like a previous owner had a similar issue as the blades are bent into a bit of an S shape. I haven't gone so far as to stick a knife blade in there to pry apart the contacts, but that will probably be my next step. A search for Iota Fuse brought up replacing the fuse with a breaker, but not much more. Has anyone else run into this fuse issue and if so, how did you get around it?

Cheers,
West

Nevermind...I figured it out.

1) The unit I was thinking was an inverter is actually the 120v battery charger, and

2) to replace the fuse, it is helpful to loosen the two screws next to the fuse slot, then insert the fuse, then re-tighten the screws.

3) It's almost impossible to do this without disconnecting the unit from where it's mounted in the camper.

I hope this is helpful to someone, although I now realize that unless I'm either plugged in to 120v or instal an inverter, I won't have 120 in the camper...hrmmm. I guess the only thing I'd really want to use it for is charging camera and laptop batteries, Otherwise a USB outlet would cover most of the rest of my needs.

Cheers,
West

For 120V needs, just get a small 400w inverter.

I have this model: http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Pro-400W-Watt-Power-Inverter/dp/B003R7GQT2.

It will power my DirectTV Receiver and a 22" LCD TV plus charge phones at the same time. Low power draw.
Has a USB port. Small, compact and easy to use.

~DR

Back
Top Bottom