Isotherm Fridge not Cooling

kodoz

Tell me how your FWC Isotherm fridge is holding up in the blazing hot weather down south. We spent a week here in Texas...100+ all day, dipping to 70s at night and always 40%+ humidity (both of those last 2 I'd call BS on, but that's what the TWC says). Our fridge is reading temps in the 50s, with the refer fan on and without us opening it except a few times to check the temp. It's empty, turned to "7", and can't be more than a few years old. Prior to that we had it full and the freezer compartment didn't stay frozen, but things felt cool-ish (but didn't check the temp). Is this what we should expect in the heat, or should I be troubleshooting?

Sorry to hear your troubles. If you have the side vents and have checked in the compartment for nests etc perhaps having a fridge compressor checked. I have the Isotherm 65 and it has never not worked. At a week in the high 90's it stayed cold and ice box frozen.
If it is new-ish I'd call them and at least get a list of steps to go through to test.
Good luck

You mentioned it is empty. The more full a refrigerator is, the less energy it takes to keep it cold. Essentially once everything in it is cold it those items tend to help keep the fridge cold. When we load our fridge for a trip, we freeze a few items (soups, chili, meat and fish, sauces, bottled waters, etc.) that we will use later in the week ahead of leaving but then pack them in the fridge for the trip. The couple of days it takes for them to thaw helps the fridge to stay cool.

Thanks all. I'm loading it up with drinks and some frozen foods today and will see if that helps.

Where do you take it if you think it needs service?

What I keep forgetting is what the numbers on dial actual denote....lower numbers lower temp? Or the other way around...nothing in manual lays this out...we have the 110 two way model...I assume yours is a two way?

Wallowa said:
What I keep forgetting is what the numbers on dial actual denote....lower numbers lower temp? Or the other way around...nothing in manual lays this out...we have the 110 two way model...I assume yours is a two way?
I'm pretty sure the lower numbers are warmer, so "7" is the highest they go, and that's where mine's been. As you move down the scale you can hear the compressor kick off.

My Isotherm never would cool the "fridge" section very good since the day I bought the camper.

Tried all the usual - Pre-cool the fridge a few days before the trip. Put some water bottles in the fridge while pre-cooling. Load the fridge with cooled items. Tried the fan. Middle shelf is the best.

At my wits end, I came up with my own fix. Saw it here on WTW or a boating forum. . .

The freezer section is the only thing cooled in an Isotherm. (Similar to your home reefer) The capillary tube for the thermostat is on top the freezer box. I moved the capillary tube to the larger "refrigerator" box area.

The capillary tube is what senses temperature and controls the thermostat.

The refrigerant lines & capillary tube sit on top the metal box freezer area.
i-MRfkDZQ-M.jpg

Take the door off. Gives you room to work. Remove the two screws you see in the above picture. You can tip the box down and see the refrigerant lines (be careful, don't break or damage them) and the capillary tube used to sense temperature.

Move the capillary tube from the top of the metal freezer box and route it down the outside of the metal box into the refer section.
i-5g9cB92-X2.jpg

Place it in the back of the "fridge" section. I used stick on cable tie holders. Don't break or kink the capillary tube.

i-PCnRz56-X2.jpg

My refrigerator section will now stay at 38 degrees, on 5, on the hottest day. I still use the portable fan. Place it on the middle shelf.

Colorado Mark said:
My Isotherm never would cool the "fridge" section very good since the day I bought the camper.

Tried all the usual - Pre-cool the fridge a few days before the trip. Put some water bottles in the fridge while pre-cooling. Load the fridge with cooled items. Tried the fan. Middle shelf is the best.

At my wits end, I came up with my own fix. Saw it here on WTW or a boating forum. . .

The freezer section is the only thing cooled in an Isotherm. (Similar to your home reefer) The capillary tube for the thermostat is on top the freezer box. I moved the capillary tube to the larger "refrigerator" box area.

The capillary tube is what senses temperature and controls the thermostat.

The refrigerant lines & capillary tube sit on top the metal box freezer area.
i-MRfkDZQ-M.jpg

Take the door off. Gives you room to work. Remove the two screws you see in the above picture. You can tip the box down and see the refrigerant lines (be careful, don't break or damage them) and the capillary tube used to sense temperature.

Move the capillary tube from the top of the metal freezer box and route it down the outside of the metal box into the refer section.
i-5g9cB92-X2.jpg

Place it in the back of the "fridge" section. I used stick on cable tie holders. Don't break or kink the capillary tube.

i-PCnRz56-X2.jpg

My refrigerator section will now stay at 38 degrees, on 5, on the hottest day. I still use the portable fan. Place it on the middle shelf.
This is a fantastic idea. I am overall happy with my fridge, but it has always had issues keeping cold in above 95 deg F temps. I have been running my fridge constant for a few years and have only shut it off three times to defrost it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom