Jerry Can in Your Truck Camper?

brp

Advanced Member
I am looking at jerry can mounting options for my ATC Bobcat and the simplest, cheapest option seems to be just strapping a can down under the bench seat. However, I am wondering about safety, ventilation, etc. If this is a no-go, can anybody recommend an external mount that is a good value. Thanks

Terrible ideal unless your truck is diesel - and then it is just a bad and smelly idea.

Gas has ZERO place inside a closed vehicle. :mushroom cloud:

It seems that everyone either goes on the roof or mounts a can holder to the exterior back wall.

Here's a couple ideas:

P1076476.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

gas_trailer_(1).jpg
:eek:

Or if you want to be real creative and don't smoke in bed you can go this route:
Under cab overClick on the link to see how he installed it:

14.jpg

There's a guy with a FWC driving around Nevada City (Hawk on a Dodge?) that has a cool bracket for fuel over the rear door. The bracket is metal with two knee braces coming down on either side of the door, with a platform above that has two jerry cans mounted. Looks pretty cool, even if a bit high for ideal weight distribution.

Sooner or later I hope to run into the guy and compare notes. Next time I see him I'll at least try to get a photo to post here.

Terrible ideal unless your truck is diesel - and then it is just a bad and smelly idea.

It seems that everyone either goes on the roof or mounts a can holder to the exterior back wall.

Roger that! Aside from the odor (read flammable fumes here), storing gas inside a camper where you use a propane cook top and/or furnace has all the earmarks of a lovely fire.

This is my favorite solution.

Thanks to Ted/Magellan over on WTW for this idea.

gallery_2_113_38123.jpg

Here is the write up on the rear mounted jerry can holder. Link

And the Adventure Trailers aluminum jerry can holder. Link (This thing is great, very impressed with this item.)

261925315_eRxEG-M.jpg

I just saw the RotoPax under the cabover write-up on Expeditionportal.com

http://www.expeditionportal.com/adventures/83-in-progress-overland-journey/877-world-apprentice-rotopax-installation.html

That looks like a nice set-up, using wasted space and what not.

It looks like it would be about $130 for the whole set-up, might be worth it.

I understand what you guys are saying about the safety thing, and I don't bet my life on theories. But... do these cans all leak or what? No vapor "should" be getting out?

I used to travel with 28 gallons of veggie oil in the back of my Jetta wagon, so that was my inspiration.

If you have gasoline mounted on the exterior of your vehicle and are involved in a collision your vehicle may be turned into a fireball. That picture with all of that gasoline directly over the truck roof is crazy. No way I'd do it.

Personally I'd be looking to see if I could mount something along the frame rail of the truck that didn't hang down any lower than other stuff on the truck.

It's like driving a Pinto.

If you have gasoline mounted on the exterior of your vehicle and are involved in a collision your vehicle may be turned into a fireball. That picture with all of that gasoline directly over the truck roof is crazy. No way I'd do it.

I understand what you guys are saying about the safety thing, and I don't bet my life on theories. But... do these cans all leak or what? No vapor "should" be getting out?

Yep they all leak at some point.

I used to travel with 28 gallons of veggie oil in the back of my Jetta wagon, so that was my inspiration.

Gasoline is much more volatile than oil, that is, it has a much higher vapor pressure, it's much closer to boiling than oil or diesel. So if the container that the gas is in gets warm -- like in the camper in summer -- then that vapor is going to be pushing hard to get out.
Sure, it's possible to have a container that seals perfectly even against internal pressure...but it's tricky if the container port has to be big enough to stick a gas pump nozzle in and also has to be openable by hand.

By the way: All that veggie oil in the Jetta -- did you carry a portable corn dog fryer back there or something?
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

I respectfully disagree provided one is carrying their gas in a CARB approved can, which is properly closed. I have bought gas for my lawn mower, and carried it home inside my car without smelling a wife of gasoline. I store said gas can in my garage and have never smelled gasoline until I have to refill the lawn mower. Do I feel nervous about carrying gasoline in the same volume of air from which I breath? Yes, a little - about the same as carrying a freshly filled propane tank home in my car.

Gasoline vapor is explosive, hence it's potentially dangerous. Liquid gasoline in a proper container, which doesn't allow any vapor to escape is not so dangerous.

I respectfully disagree provided one is carrying their gas in a CARB approved can, which is properly closed. I have bought gas for my lawn mower, and carried it home inside my car without smelling a wife of gasoline. I store said gas can in my garage and have never smelled gasoline until I have to refill the lawn mower. Do I feel nervous about carrying gasoline in the same volume of air from which I breath? Yes, a little - about the same as carrying a freshly filled propane tank home in my car.

Gasoline vapor is explosive, hence it's potentially dangerous. Liquid gasoline in a proper container, which doesn't allow any vapor to escape is not so dangerous.

Carrying a small amount of gas home for the lawn mower ( a block or two on pavement) is very different from transporting a 5 gallon container of gas in a camper...during hot/cold....bouncing down some nasty jeep trail...like we all seem to do.

Trust me it WILL leak...it's just a matter of time.....and YES it is dangerous.

Do you really want that stinky leaking gas container pounding your camper cabinets to pieces? Not to mention the danger of explosive fumes...just waiting for a spark of some sort.

Not a good idea.

Carrying a small amount of gas home for the lawn mower ( a block or two on pavement) is very different from transporting a 5 gallon container of gas in a camper...during hot/cold....bouncing down some nasty jeep trail...like we all seem to do.

Trust me it WILL leak...it's just a matter of time.....and YES it is dangerous.

Do you really want that stinky leaking gas container pounding your camper cabinets to pieces? Not to mention the danger of explosive fumes...just waiting of a spark of some sort.

Not a good idea.

You make a good point, and after reading some of the other posts in this thread I have to say that I have changed my mind.
mellow.gif

I carry my gas in Wedco Nato (non-CAR:cool: cans, and have never had any leaks. They also hold a seal going through 10,000 foot elevation changes. So I would feel okay with carrying them inside the camper if it was diesel, but with gas it is still a bit worrying.

I have never really thought about this yet.

But accidents DO happen.

:(

And from time to time we get calls from customers that have driven off the road and rolled their truck with the camper on it.

In a car or truck if you mis-judge things and go off the road, try to correct things too fast in a panic, rolling the vehicle is possible.

When I was young I delivered produce late nights and early mornings for a few years.

I would leave the warehouse at 2am or 3am and never knew what I would see.

Saw some crazy roll overs from people falling asleep on the road.

I can't imagine if the gas cans cracked & spilled around the accident area.

All I know is that it would NOT be a good thing.

Kinda makes me re-think things a little.

I carry my gas in Wedco Nato (non-CAR:cool: cans, and have never had any leaks. They also hold a seal going through 10,000 foot elevation changes. So I would feel okay with carrying them inside the camper if it was diesel, but with gas it is still a bit worrying.

If you had a tiny leak in your set up that would be enough to create fumes...but not enough to leave a leakage signature...you'd never know it with your set up since it is external and it would all evaporate. If it was stored inside a camper it might become an issue.

Have you ever stopped to consider what would happen with the gas stored on the rear of your vehicle if you were to be rear ended by something large enough to hit your gas can?

I know you've been lucky so far and no one has hit you but the world is full of crazy drivers and truck drivers have been known to fall asleep on the job from time to time. Food for thought.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Yes, I understand that.

I know there is a solid seal because the cans will hold a high vacuum/pressure for several days, even a couple weeks. Like I said, I would be fine with carrying them inside the camper if it was diesel, but not so much with gasoline.

I am not trying to give advice, just my thoughts on the matter.

Gasoline is much more volatile than oil, that is, it has a much higher vapor pressure, it's much closer to boiling than oil or diesel. So if the container that the gas is in gets warm -- like in the camper in summer -- then that vapor is going to be pushing hard to get out.
Sure, it's possible to have a container that seals perfectly even against internal pressure...but it's tricky if the container port has to be big enough to stick a gas pump nozzle in and also has to be openable by hand.

By the way: All that veggie oil in the Jetta -- did you carry a portable corn dog fryer back there or something?
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

The Jetta was a diesel that I ran on vegetable oil. I could load up only half of the wagon's back and have about a 2,000 mile range.

I got under the Tacoma yesterday to look for any spots underneath. It looks like there is room for Jerry can along the frame between the left rear wheel and the bumper. I am going to Northern Tool to buy a Jerry can, walk out to the parking lot and see if it fits. I'll return it and do with the Rotopax if it does not work. I'll share the results.

Back
Top Bottom