Joshua Tree Hiking Suggestions

takesiteasy

We are visiting Joshua Tree National Park on Monday and would appreciate any suggestions for good hikes and sites to see. We are driving out from Palm Springs by car. We have only one day and will not be camping unfortunately. Thanks in advance for any wisdom WTW members can provide.

Hmmm, if you only have a day, enter at the West gate. The Joshua Tree Visitor Center is just of Hwy 62. There a two short hikes Hidden Valley and Barker Dam that are nice and about a 1 mile each. The view from Keys View overlooking Palm Springs, the Salton Sea, and into Mexico on a clear day is nice. The Lost Horse Mine hike is off this road and is about a 6 miles loop. If you enter the West gate, I'd suggest exiting the South gate a Cottonwood and returning the Palm Springs on I-10. This will give you a good overall view of the varied landscape.

ski3pin said:
Wow, wish we could run down and join you! :)

We've never been to Joshua, well at least not in the last 50 years, so we've excited for you. Check out the stuff here -

http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/areas?area=7

Travel safe. Do you like the warmth? :)
Thanks for the link. I had looked at that but it didn't help much without some more knowledge. I will be heading back to that site now. We are loving the warmth! It has been below zero all week back home. I am trying to soak up as much heat as I can to take back with me. I have a ski trip planned for Feb 21-23 in northern Minnesota. :)

JHa6av8r said:
Hmmm, if you only have a day, enter at the West gate. The Joshua Tree Visitor Center is just of Hwy 62. There a two short hikes Hidden Valley and Barker Dam that are nice and about a 1 mile each. The view from Keys View overlooking Palm Springs, the Salton Sea, and into Mexico on a clear day is nice. The Lost Horse Mine hike is off this road and is about a 6 miles loop. If you enter the West gate, I'd suggest exiting the South gate a Cottonwood and returning the Palm Springs on I-10. This will give you a good overall view of the varied landscape.
That sounds like a good plan. Based on some research, we have learned the Cottonwood area is closed due to damage from flash floods. We are looking at doing the 49 Palms Oasis hike which is about 3 miles. That plus some time at the visitor center and some shorter hikes, plus the drive out to Keys View and some other undefined wandering around should make a pretty good day. Wish we had more time and our camper, but that's the way it always is.

Thanks for the advice!

If you are coming from the north take the 40, check out Pisgah Crater on your way south to JT/29 Palms.
I enjoyed camping at White Tank when I went there once.

takesiteasy said:
That sounds like a good plan. Based on some research, we have learned the Cottonwood area is closed due to damage from flash floods. We are looking at doing the 49 Palms Oasis hike which is about 3 miles. That plus some time at the visitor center and some shorter hikes, plus the drive out to Keys View and some other undefined wandering around should make a pretty good day. Wish we had more time and our camper, but that's the way it always is.
Too bad hikes in Cottonwood are all closed. I my mind the hike to Lost Palms Oasis, longer than the others, is the most interesting in the park. A short, but rather steep, uphill hike to the top of Ryan Mountain gives great views of the entire area. As mentioned, Lost Horse Mine is interesting if you like mine ruins. It follows an old mining road. Yes, do visit Key's View if the smog is out.

I love J-trees! Have a great trip.

We turned a one day trip into a 2 day trip. We had a great time, took some nice hikes and learned a lot about the desert. We appreciated everyone's suggestions. I will file a trip report when we get home but here are a couple photos.

gallery_2966_261_347728.jpeg

gallery_2966_261_1979532.jpg

Back
Top Bottom