Just purchased a 1989 Grandby and have some questions

ReedR

Hey Everyone!

I'm the new and third owner of a 1989 Gandby. The guy I purchased it from bought it in April of 2019, the owners before that bought it brand new in 1989. I'm having some issues sorting out a few things and hoping someone can help me.

The biggest question I have is about the 12V port. Theres a two prong male connector sticking out of the left front of the camper. The previous owner just gave me a battery with a female attachment and two cable connectors. He said the cable from the battery just connects directly to the camper and that's it. Seems odd that there isn't a charging setup, anyone have any insights about that? I've also attempted two different batteries connected to the left front connector and get no response from any of the 12V system. Before I break out the multimeter, is there a switch I'm missing?

My other question, has anyone had success with replacing the original factory vents with a modern fan (i.e. Fantastic)?

Lastly, the furnace needs 12V go operate the thermostat before it will start, right?

Anyone know what the onboard water capacity is?

Thanks!!

some answers
1- the furnace needs 12 volts to run.
2- newer FWC camper have a master disconnector, usually a silver knob which you pull out to activate the power, push in to deactivate power. (Multi-meter would certainly be helpful)
3- most people connect the camper to the truck using by installing a female trolling motor connector in the bed of the truck which is then wired thru an isolator to the truck's battery, you could wire it without an isolator for testing purposes, but without an isolator its would drain your engine battery. The isolator ro similar device can be placed near the truck battery on in the camper but should be fused very close to the truck battery.
4- IF the vents are standard size and pre-wired, adding a fan is no problem, I believe fantastic fans require a 14 x 14" square opening.
5-- Fill the water tank, there drain it into a 5 gal bucket and measure the amount of water.

welcome and enjoy

Maxxair Fan all the way! They are a little bit taller compared to the fantastic fans but can stay open all the time. Air circulation even in the rain!

I had a 1997 Grandby, much newer than yours, and it had no charging system. You powered anything 12V from a battery located wherever you chose. I chose to mount a second battery under the hood of the truck, using an aftermarket dual battery system that charged them both, but kept them isolated from each other. I connected the camper 12V input to that second battery.

The factory standard setup at that time was to sell you a battery box mounted in front of the passenger side wheel well, and you got to remove the camper anytime you needed to add water, check connections, etc. That made no sense to me.

If you plugged in to 110V then only the 110V plugs in the camper had power. No converter/no inverter/nothing. So if you didn't have a battery connected, no 12V even if you were plugged in. Primitive, but simple.

I had a power cutoff switch inside the camper, I think. My memory is good, just short, so I can't recall the location. It seems that you are on the right track asking that question, having connected batteries but measuring no voltage at the 12v devices inside the camper.

Good luck making things work, hope I helped a little.

you wrote:

<< The biggest question I have is about the 12V port. Theres a two prong male connector sticking out of the left front of the camper.>>

WHITE WIRE IN THERE IS + POSITIVE

BLACK WIRE IN THERE IS - NEGATIVE

YOU SHOULD INSTALL A BATTERY SEPARATOR / ISOLATOR IN THE CAMPER OR YOUR ENGINE COMPARMENT

<< Lastly, the furnace needs 12V go operate the thermostat before it will start, right? >>

YES, IT NEEDS 12V BATTERY POWER AND PROPANE

<< Anyone know what the onboard water capacity is? >>

APPROX 12 GALLONS

BASIC INSTALL VIDEO HERE:

Back
Top Bottom