Keep camper clean?

hoyden

Lady Bug
Not sure if this belongs in this section....

I've got a FWC Fleet (on my Tacoma) and two dogs. It gets dirty really quickly!
I've considered putting in carpet, but wondering what solutions y'all have come up with for keeping camper (floor) clean while on trips?

Throw rugs work nicely, plus a small foxtail brush and dust pan. We pull the rugs out and shake them, then sweep out the aisle.

BTW, the foxtail lives in the truck, so we can brush off the back door before opening it when things get dusty.

I have a beagle with me in my Grandby. I cut a rubber backed entrance rug to fit the floor. Dirt doesn't fall through. I just fold it up, take it outside and shake, beat or hose down. I also glued astroturf onto the steps into the camper. They remove a lot of dirt from mine and the beagle's feet. Haven't found a way to remove beagle hair though; that stuff weaves its way into the carpet and won't come out.

jim

JaSAn said:
I have a beagle with me in my Grandby. I cut a rubber backed entrance rug to fit the floor. Dirt doesn't fall through. I just fold it up, take it outside and shake, beat or hose down. I also glued astroturf onto the steps into the camper. They remove a lot of dirt from mine and the beagle's feet. Haven't found a way to remove beagle hair though; that stuff weaves its way into the carpet and won't come out.

jim
My pug sheds enough for at least four great danes. Holy cow.
Does the dirt go under the rug?
I was trying to think if there were any that had raised edges. hm.

I like the gluing astroturf to the steps! I have an astroturf mat, but if I put it inside the camper during travel, it makes lots of dirt inside. I stored it between the camper and truck (where they meet at the truck rear window, but I don't like that. Seems not terribly secure, and is kind of a hassle to stuff there.

Foxtail brush. That sounds like a plan too.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Throw rugs work nicely, plus a small foxtail brush and dust pan. We pull the rugs out and shake them, then sweep out the aisle.

BTW, the foxtail lives in the truck, so we can brush off the back door before opening it when things get dusty.
Sounds like my set up Steve! Just pull the rugs and shake them very so often! Same goes with the rubber welcome mat. I also have an old blanket on the couch that I call "Bobs" blanket that always covers the couch-keeps the stickers and do fir off of it sometimes anyway :p !

Smoke

We have 2 Bed Bath & Beyond micro bathroom rugs and thin mat at for the floor at the door. Easy to remove and shake off. We sweep periodically. Our yellow lab sheds like crazy. Rugs all get washed after each trip. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

We use two cotton (easy to wash, no rubber backing) throw rugs that we shake out often and wash after each trip. We also sweep and wipe down the floor after each trip. Neither of us shed too much.

I got a ribbed utility mat from Home Depot and cut it to fit the floor of my Eagle. I sweep it off or take it out and shake it off on trips and take it out and hose it off between trips.

We have a piece of carpet cut to fit the floor which collects the dirt and hides it nicely. :) It comes out after a trip and gets a thorough beating and vacuuming. We use a rug on top of that for the dog to lay on. The dog does not get on the benches or the bed. We also use a rubber car backseat floor mat by the door inside and outside. That helps keep some of the shoe debris confined and is easy to shake out. We also have a small brush and dustpan for when things get too out of control.

Just back Saturday from two weeks with our long hair tabby who was recovering from surgery. He had never been off our block so it was quite an adventure for him and an adjustment for everyone especially since he had just recently been trained for litter box use. We kept that by the back door where the porta-potty would go if we had one. We never could get him to relieve himself outside while walking him (or vice-versa) on a leash and harness. I'll post a pic at some point.

We had a rubber backed throw rug on the floor and a jute welcome mat at the bottom of the stairs that got frequent shaking out. Swept the floor daily but cat hair and litter got everywhere especially on my wife who decided the easiest way to deal with Buddy's "routine" was to sleep on the lower level with him. I slept upstairs and we had a strict no access policy on that level for the cat which he was constantly and comically trying to circumvent despite deploying various barriers.

I was pretty impressed with our Hawk's ability to keep dust out of the interior while off-pavement. I'd say the interior of the F-150 took on more.

Utility mat to shake out but its hard to keep clean in rainy weather. I tried a cheapie 12v vacuum cleaner, waste of money. My dog sleeps on the cushions, I tried to make him sleep on the floor but he wasn't having any of that. Fortunately he's not a heavy shedder. Its a constant battle to stay clean. Ten minutes at the car wash today and I got some of the mud off. Its going to take a few trips.

I guess misery loves company - good to hear that it's a common issue :D

My heeler and pug sleep on the bed with me, and have shed all over the seats. Ugh.
A few months ago, I bought a dust-buster little hand-held vacuum thinking I'd take it with me but it takes space and having something else that requires electricity just didn't seem like a good idea.

Just picked up a kinda ugly rubber-backed rubber rug at CostCo. It was only $10, so I'm thinking that it'll be my tester and I can cut it up without worrying about messing up something nice. Ha!

hoyden said:
My pug sheds enough for at least four great danes. Holy cow.
Does the dirt go under the rug?
I was trying to think if there were any that had raised edges. hm.

The rubber bottom keeps dirt from filtering through the rug. I get a little around the edges under the rug (probably from stirring it up walking) but I usually ignore it 'til I get home to vacuum.

I like the gluing astroturf to the steps! I have an astroturf mat, but if I put it inside the camper during travel, it makes lots of dirt inside. I stored it between the camper and truck (where they meet at the truck rear window, but I don't like that. Seems not terribly secure, and is kind of a hassle to stuff there.

Before I stow the stairs in the camper I will invert and bang on the ground. I am amazed at the amount of dirt that comes out each time.

jim

I plan on using one of these mats (Cut to fit entire floor) when I get my Hawk in late May...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 1.22.33 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 1.22.33 AM copy.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 148
gallery_5772_2_7098.jpeg
gallery_5772_2_138567.jpeg

I've found the best way to keep it clean is by having multiple mats. I have 4 in total in these photos. One big mat is a pain to pull out. One small mat won't cover enough floor area. I spent $30 in total. $20 for the kitchen mat (which is very nice to step on when getting out of bed) and $10 for the utility mat that I cut into pieces. I also keep a dust pan and small brush (which I bought for $4 total at a thrift shop) (heavy duty too).

I like these mats because I can clean them with the pressure washer once in a while too.

I was planning on using the bigger mat in the top photo as an outdoor mat, that's why it's cut so big an looks a little funny, but I found keeping it inside as a mat to wipe the feet on really helped to keep the camper clean. It's primarily the only mat that really gets dirty. I also use it to throw fire wood on etc.

Bill D said:
I've found the best way to keep it clean is by having multiple mats. I have 4 in total in these photos. One big mat is a pain to pull out. One small mat won't cover enough floor area. I spent $30 in total. $20 for the kitchen mat (which is very nice to step on when getting out of bed) and $10 for the utility mat that I cut into pieces. I also keep a dust pan and small brush (which I bought for $4 total at a thrift shop) (heavy duty too).

I like these mats because I can clean them with the pressure washer once in a while too.

I was planning on using the bigger mat in the top photo as an outdoor mat, that's why it's cut so big an looks a little funny, but I found keeping it inside as a mat to wipe the feet on really helped to keep the camper clean. It's primarily the only mat that really gets dirty. I also use it to throw fire wood on etc.
oh cool! that does make sense. Thanks!

We use a yoga mat in our Fleet. Pretty much covers the whole floor and is easy to wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

FreezingMan said:
We use a yoga mat in our Fleet. Pretty much covers the whole floor and is easy to wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
No kidding. I hadn't even considered that. I've got an old yoga mat in my closet! I'll pull it out and see how it fits! Neat!

Back
Top Bottom