Keeping the dust out

CJ8Rockcrawler

What tips and tricks have you used for keeping dust out of the camper? We took our Hawk out for the first trip this weekend and spent a couple of hours on dirt roads. When I went into the camper there was a layer of dust on everything. It wasn't terrible by any means, but I guess I expected it to be more dust free than it was based on what I've heard from other users.

I assume the major culprits for dust infiltration are going to be around the windows/vents and the door. Anywhere else I should concentrate my efforts? Any tips for sealing up the windows/vents and doors?

Thanks,

Kyle

There was discussion on this quite some time ago, I did a search but couldn't find it. Some folks had mentioned leaving their roof vent open to create a vacuum of some sort. Can't remember exactly the procedure. I'm sure they will chime in. Personally, I haven't had much of a problem with dust.

Good... I don't feel bad that I couldn't find it then either! I searched a couple of different ways figuring that there had to have been a discussion at some point, but came up empty.

I did find reference to someone w/ the slider in the front and slider in the truck using their vent system to pressurize the camper for dust reduction. I know a guy in California that created an overpressure system for his camper shell on his Tacoma using some fans/filters that works well.

on my older Fleet model I would make sure all the windows and roof vent was closed. Then I would open the pass through slider some to create positive pressure. Of course the faster you go the more pressuer it would make. Might forget about it if you have a strong tail wind. Really don't like going too fast on dirt roads enough to really creata the postive pressure you need. The old Fleet had a window in the back door that would leak.

The newer Ranger stays clean with just a little coming in around the door seal. If it is going to be really bad then I will open the roof vent and turn on the fan to push positive pressure inside the camper and that will push the air out the back where the leaks are. Taking the air from the roof or at the pass through window is cleaner air.

So now I don't bother with any method expect really bad roads or dry lake beds, then I'll turn on the fan for positive pressure.

If you search using 'dust' you'll find several threads, but no dedicated ones.

Two tips I thought were interesting were: 1. Drive with the truck fan on 'hi' with the sliding windows of the truck and camper open (assumes a boot installed between truck and camper). 2. Drive with the camper sliding window open only (assumes no boot installed).

Edit: Sorry for the cross-post, Patrick!

Dust access point

Kyle,

Two weekends ago we did 30+ miles off-road and had no dust. I also don't remember a dust problem from other non paved roads. So there must be a poorly sealed door or window on your camper. Anytime you go on dirt, 90% of the exterior dust is covering the back of the vehicle, so I would start with the door of your camper. Try installing some of that sticky backed foam used to insulate doorways and see if that helps. just my two cents worth.

Ted

Dust Stopper

It's a little bit of a hassle, but less that dealing with the dust: I seal the outside of all openings with tape. I used duct tape last trip to AK with another truck and camper. It can leave a sticky mess, though. I also sealed any holes on the inside of the bed. This was with a cab-high truck cap with side windoors, which made it possible to spread a sheet over the top of all the contents in the rear to stop anything that got through. We just took removed it at the end of the day and shook it out for the next day.

This coming trip I plan to seal around the outside of the louvered windows, maybe the door, and definitely the turnbuckle access covers on the inside with painters tape; it will not leave a sticky mess. I'll be doing a lot of dirt road and will see how tight the ATC is on this trip.

I do like the idea of a positive flow system, though. Just get a fan with enough CFM and a good place to put it.

-Buzz

I get very little dust in mine. I'd set of a smoke bomb inside and see where it comes out.

Yes, pretty much 4-1 suggestion.

down the dusty road

Just our way that we took care of this problem was to make sure that you check the rear door close. we did and ended up replacing the weather striping i found that due to door not being square in frame there was air space in spots.Also the corner rubber edging did not meet.After replacing rubber i sealed corners with silicone.Trail and error till ALL gaps were sealed,also reset door latch so door stays closed tight.
As we have a boot plus a naugahide sleeve between camper and truck we do not get any leakage.I found that leaving the roof vent closed turning the cab blower on high builds pressure this is what keeps dust out .I also seal up turnbuckels doors etc.This being said you will always get dust inside! Part of the offroad experiance.Just my 2 cents worth.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

I haven't had much of a dust problem while driving but I have noticed that while camping in the wind I get some dust/sand coming in around the frig.

Back
Top Bottom