LED Bulb replacement issues

kmacafee

Greetings

I have a 2012 Eagle that came with flourescent bulbs. I replaced them with some Perko marine lights that came with both red and white bulbs. I went to replace the bulbs with equivalent LED's and every time the switch is thrown, it blows a fuse. The standard bulbs work fine -- only the LED's are the problem.

FWC's wiring from the ceiling is a black and white wire. The replacement light is polarity neutral -- it doesnt matter which wire goes where and the bulbs are as well.

What am I missing? Is there something unique with LED's that I am not getting? I have replaced bulbs before and never had an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

So, the replacement LED could be bad. Measuring the resistance with a Ohm meter to see if it is shorted is one step. I once ordered a replacement LED bulb for the back light on the camper and they sent me the wrong one. It had two connectors on the bottom of the bayonet connection. It did not blow a fuse but did not work. If you have a link to the LED that you are replacing the bulb with or a picture, that might help. There is also a very remote possibility that the hot connection in the socket shorts with the ground in the socket when you screw the LED in. And yeah, I am just trying to think of anything easy to check.

Steve

Steve

This is the bulb I'm using. I tried several different bulbs with the same results. The base is a bayonet mount so it pushes in and turns.

kmacafee said:
Steve

This is the bulb I'm using. I tried several different bulbs with the same results. The base is a bayonet mount so it pushes in and turns.
There is a store called "Bulbs and Batteries". Search them and see if there is a store near you. They have a huge selection of LEDs,and the knowledge to help.
Years ago I replaced my incandescent bulbs with LEDs,bayonet type the number is 1003 single contact. The LED is the square with 36 separate LED dots. They were ordered from the same company yours are from.

Frank

Another possibility is you hooked the +12 to where the ground should connect and the ground to the +12 connection. The center connection should be +12 and the outside area of the socket should be ground. Since the LED says it will operate between 10 and 30 volts, there must be some other electronics inside to regulate the voltage. If that is true, the regulation circuit would need the +12 to the center connection. A regular bulb does not care.

That bulb looks similar to one I used for the light under the dash of the truck.

Steve

A few thing you can try.
Rule out the lamp base as a problem. The base is metal and you screw it into the aluminum frame which is at negative potential thus tying the base to the battery negative.
1. Flip the switch with the bulb removed.
This should not blow a fuse as you say the standard incandescent bulb works.
2. Unmount the base and allow it to hang by its wires
a. Try the LED bulb. If it blows the fuse, try the incandescent again,
b. If it does not blow the fuse with the LED installed and the bulb glows, swap the wires and try again
3. If the LED lights and does not blow the fuse, remount the base and try again. If LED works and does not blow fuse, you're good to go.I suspect in this case the wire colors are different than what one would expect but your problem is solved.
4. If none of the above works, contact the build vendor and ask for a replacement LED to try.

Otherwise contact the LED vendor and see if they have encountered your situation.

Paul

Swap your leads, the LED bulb your using is polarity sensitive. I had the same issue on my pop up tent trailer when I switched to LED bulbs.
Cheers

Yeah, I was going to add that standard blubs are not polarity sensitive but LED's are. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode and a Diode controls the direction of power flow. If wired backwards, you could result in a short circuit. Good luck.

First of all, thanks to everyone for the help. I switched the leads out today and the problem continues. I tested the LED bulbs in another lamp, and they all work fine. So, it is something in the lamp itself.

I will look for another solution.

Back
Top Bottom