LED light conversion

PDXcowboy

Hi,

I have a 2006 Grandby and want to convert my flourescent lights and porch light to LED lights. Is there anything special to this, other than disconnecting the flourescent ballast and putting LED bulbs or strips in? Or should I just replace the whole flourescent fixture with an LED fixture? I'm assuming the porch light is simply plug and play?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, pure opinion here... I'd replace the entire fluorescent fixture to have something that is a little newer, and meant for a LED. Your porch should be as you mentioned.

I might chime in here and add that LED fixtures most likely have different reflectors that would betters disperse the light they put out. It is certainly the case for automotive lamps. Superbright LED's make little if any difference in usable light in a reflector designed for halogen lamps.

Steve, I changed my Class C motorhome 1141 style 12v bulbs to LED with the 1141 base purchase on e-bay for $2.65 each, so a simple replacement. Camping World bulbs were expensive at about $8.95 each, however, Camping World may have a simple and cost effective way to convert the fluorescent to LED.

I had one flakey fluorescent and installed about six strips of this LE 16.4ft LED Flexible Strip Lights, 300 Units SMD 3528 LEDs, 12V DC Non-waterproof, Light Strips, LED ribbon, DIY Christmas Holiday Home Kitchen Car Bar Indoor Party Decoration (Daylight White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSF65MC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_N0jzybQAEKQP9 inside the fixture tied them together with these Leegoal 10pcs Connector Adapter Cable LED PCB Strip 3528 to 3528 Single Color 8mm Free Welding https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTGLCXI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_M2jzybN60K47M

Sent from my SM-G930V using Wander The West mobile app

Bit of a left turn...our '16 Hawk LED ceiling strips inside the camper are too bright [actually too much of a glare] ..

Does anyone have a source for a diffuser that could go over the FWC LEDs to tone down or soften the amount of light?

Thanks...Phil

Phil,
We have the same complaint about the brightness of the Hawk LED overhead lights. They're great if you are doing needlepoint while sitting under the dinette table. ;)

Our solution was found by accident. I bought a solar powered Luci light in the Zion visitor center store. https://www.rei.com/product/100705/mpowerd-luci-original-inflatable-solar-lantern

We liked it so much that we purchased a second one. Deflated, they recharge on the dash during the day. Inflated, we hang them from the ceiling and two provide enough light to read by if you are near one. A side benefit is they don't consume camper battery power. In practice, I usually set them on the lower power mode which provides sufficient light.

Paul

Likewise...we sometimes find the FWC interior LED lights too bright for most interior activities, except cooking and cleaning the dishes or tending to boo boos.

We bought 5 of the Black Diamond Moji LED lanterns at REI. These little lights (3' x 3" x 2.5") have a dimming feature. One can hang them just about anywhere, like the awning, in the privacy tent, or simply set it on a table. We find we use these lanterns more often then the FWC ceiling lights simply because they are not so bright and harsh to the eye.

Screenshot_2016_12_29_07_02_38.png

Cowboy, this or one of the other suggestions might be a less expensive and more usefule alternative until you come up with a viable solution for replacing the fluorescents.

Thanks for the input all.

I think I'll just swap out the fixtures with new LED ones, as was suggested - seems like the best course of action. I too find the lights too bright for 'relaxing' activities. Advmoto, we hang a Snowpeak Hozuki lantern which works great for reading and playing guitar. I'll have to look into the moji lantern as well - always nice to have some more soft light around. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great ideas for a 'work-around' on LED glare...

I bought a AA powered circular [Dia 4"?] thin [1 1/4"?] LED light and mounted it on the transverse board on the back lift panels for the top on the fridge side, almost centered in camper. Same board that has FWC smoke detector.

When on it is perfect for anything we need to accomplish expect reading a book in the Hawk...really great for not waking my Bride during my pre-dawn coffee grinding and brewing...actually the FWC inside floor light works well for this also..

This AA does not interfere with the top going up or down and is a tap on/off or cord.

Phil

I heard FWC was switching to dimmers or some sort of adjustable setting. I don't know the details.

As for converting fluorescent fixtures, always switch out the entire fixture to led.

Changing to LED. Give M4 Products a look, they have a complete conversion for campers. Change all my lamps to LET'S on my 2010 Hawk. M4 has a conversion for the fluorescent bulbs. I went with the bright lite and what a difference.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Wander The West mobile app

I am considering converting my fluorescent fixtures to new LED fixtures for the reduced amp draw.

For those of you that made the conversion....how do you like it?

The LED fixtures I'm looking at have a dimmer feature.

leadsled9 said:
I am considering converting my fluorescent fixtures to new LED fixtures for the reduced amp draw.

For those of you that made the conversion....how do you like it?

The LED fixtures I'm looking at have a dimmer feature.

Only have LED in '16 Hawk but think the dimmer is a great feature to have....is it separate from the fixtures? Only complaint with our LEDs is that they are too bright...I put duct tape over sections to reduce light..if feasible I will add a dimmer, never thought of that.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom