LED lights -- looking for softer color

robcc

Advanced Member
[SIZE=11pt]We have the [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Kohree 12V Led [/SIZE]Ceiling Dome Lights. Seeking a softer light. I spoke with our camper manufacturer and they said there are no options for installing a lower wattage. Any other ideas to dim the lights to a softer light?

The product description says natural daylight, which is about 5000°K, you might find a warmer led card, something around the 3000°-3700° Kelvin range.

I also noted that Kohree says they are now offering dimmable fixtures as an upgrade.

Look at Luci lights or equivalent solar powered lights. We keep ours on the dash to recharge while driving or lay in the sun while camping. They have several brightness levels & provide light for hours. We hang a couple from the ceiling or place on a cabinet. If you sit under one, there is enough light for reading. We use the 12v factory lights when very bright light is needed. We like to keep our eyes dark adapted.

There are other brands that have multiple colors. Some fairly innovative lights are available

REI, Camping World, and other vendors of camping gear usually carry lights like these.There are also rechargeable strings of LEDs that you may like. Most are cheap enough to buy a couple to try on a camping trip or two.
https://www.rei.com/product/124869/mpowerd-luci-outdoor-20-inflatable-solar-lantern

Paul

If you are happy with your existing light fixtures, you can add a 'CTO Gel' to the lens to make the color appear warmer and less harsh.

I added these to the FWC linear LED fixtures. Previously they were operating theater bright and fairly harsh. With a layer of 1/2 CTO they are slightly less bright and provide a much warmer light.

To get the light you want pay attention to color temperature. For soft, not too yellow light, I like a color temp around 3300K, for bright daylite color I prefer a color temp around 4500K - 5000K. For cool white I like a color temp around 5500K - 5800K. The lights with color temp over 5800K have a bluish tint that I don't care for. They are quite bright. However, it is a matter of personal preference. The following chart is a reasonable guide.

blg-colortemperature.jpg

Have you thought about using something like a translucent tape and putting it over the LEDs? Our LEDS were too bright so I just used some electrical tape over some of them... problem solved. I'm thinking you could use something like those light colored/clear fabric Band-Aids.

Color filters used for theatrical or concert lighting. A theatrical supply house should be able to give you a gel (a thin color filter that modifies the light spectrum) to modify the light to your liking.

Back
Top Bottom