Lessons learned about mud in the west

John D

In many dry areas of the west the dusty dirt on the surface may become extremely slick with a little rain. When we slid off the road, as pictured, it had been raining enough to wet the surface dirt less than an inch deep. When we pulled into a turnout, we had nearly zero traction and could not stop until we hit the grass. We were fortunate not to roll the truck or end up in the canal 30 feet below.

Solution is to do most of the stopping on pavement before pulling into slick places like this. If we were hauling a large top heavy camper, were overloaded, or had our center of gravity too far aft, there would have been a greater chance of rolling our rig.

We were lucky to be on our way with no damage. I thought others in the forum might benefit from our mistake.

Attachments

• slid off road.jpg
    slid off road.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 183
Wow!
ohmy.gif
Were you able to drive out of that predicament on your own, or did you need a tow?

Yep, you gotta respect the mud around here, or you will soon learn. Glad it didn't get worse.

Jack

Wow. Glad you didn't roll. How did you get out? Back out, drive forward and to the left, or get a tow?

We called a tow truck. The 911 operator gave us the telephone number. The tow truck driver was a real professional and our truck did not get a scratch. We were very lucky, but I would also credit the low profile of our camper as being less likely to roll. This is another reason for traveling with a low profile lightweight popup camper instead of a hard side conventional slide in.

Attachments

• pulling out.jpg
    pulling out.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 120
I love off-roading and pushing my limits, but side hills and off-camber stuff like that gives me the weebee jeebees. YIKES!

Glad everything worked out.

John,
I sent you an email through WTW if you don't get it send me your email address and I'll get it to you that way.

Back
Top Bottom