Lifting panel hinge pin

Sloth?

I spent a bunch of time searching this forum and the web, but I must be using the wrong key words. So I could use some help.

I just noticed that on my rear lift panel the pin that holds the metal hinge together has moved out about 2”. I tried forcing it back in with no luck. I have no idea if this is a new issue or has been this way for years. Any tips/tricks or links to how to fix this? Its a 1999 Hawk with original panels.

Have you tried tapping it in when the roof is down or close to down? When the roof is up that hinge has a lot of force on it. I have no experience with this particular hinge, but have had to fix other piano hinges in the past. Unload the hinge and try to line it up while tapping the pin in. Try rotating the pin if it’s hung up, again, while unloaded.

Jon R said:
Have you tried tapping it in when the roof is down or close to down? When the roof is up that hinge has a lot of force on it. I have no experience with this particular hinge, but have had to fix other piano hinges in the past. Unload the hinge and try to line it up while tapping the pin in. Try rotating the pin if it’s hung up, again, while unloaded.
Thanks I will give it a try tomorrow. I tried grabbing it with vice grips and push it back in and couldnt get it to move, but the top was up. With the top down it might be a pain to try and line up the un pinned hinge teeth, maybe I will get a second set of hands to help.

You can also spray liquid silicone along the hinge to help it slide. Do not use WD40

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom