little silver push pull electrical plug

dennis 221

so when you want to charge batteries with A.C. the plug needs to be pulled out! so should i pull it out Before hooking up AC or after I'm hooked up to ac??? or does it matter! which way??

My 2¢… power on afterwards. Minimize the starting load and possible arc when plugging in. Ideally, having an on/off switch on the AC source seems best. Plug in the cable/cord, turn on the AC.

The silver switch disconnects the battery from the rest of the electrical system.

To what I think was the OP’s real question, yes the silver switch needs to be in the battery connected position for the ac charger to charge the battery. No it doesn’t matter if you close the silver switch before or after shore power is connected. The main 120vac circuit breaker and the converter circuit breaker need to be on for the charger to work. Charging will start when the Iota is powered and the battery is connected - order doesn’t matter.

If you are trying to have no current through your shore power cord when you plug it in or unplug it, you need to turn off the 120 volt main circuit breaker that is next to the fuse block. On my camper that is circuit breaker 1.

will I tried it with silver plug pulled out! When plunging in cord to ac it sparked!! silver plug will be pushed in first before connecting a.c. from now on

Wallowa said:
Does it really matter if when plugging in the extension cord to AC outlet if it arcs?
When I first plugged my camper into shore power, a spark occurred. Since then, I have plugged the adapter and extension cord into the camper before plugging the extension cord into the house outlet. Most space heaters and appliances with a motor spark when being plugged into an outlet so my guess is that AC outlet design takes that into account.

Anyway that my thought.

Paul

PaulT said:
When I first plugged my camper into shore power, a spark occurred. Since then, I have plugged the adapter and extension cord into the camper before plugging the extension cord into the house outlet. Most space heaters and appliances with a motor spark when being plugged into an outlet so my guess is that AC outlet design takes that into account.

Anyway that my thought.

Paul

Paul...I guess my question was: "So what if it sparks"....is this arcing a problem?

+1 for flammable vapors/

I was thinking about metal erosion & deposition due to arcing. Any time there is arcing between two metals, material is moved around. It is less of an issue where there are large and thick conductors than where there are thin plated surfaces/ I designed and built machines for electro spark alloying of metals for producing wear resistant surfaces, self lubricating surfaces, and/or repair of aerospace alloys such as turbine blades. There are also machines for electrospark machining.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom