looking for quiet campsite near Sacramento

N'kwala

Geezelle
Well, this is it. I'm currently the sole caregiver for my 98-year-old mother, who is definitely failing. She wakens every hour or so during the night, needing help and then sleeps all day. Need I say I'm awake in the day. I'm simply exhausted and need to camp somewhere near for a couple nights. I can get a competent caregiver to cover for me.

This is the opposite of the camping I usually look for, but it might get me through this somewhat intact.

Wherever it is, it should have cell phone service.

Suggestions, please?

Can't help much with suggestions but sure understand what you are going through.You're doing the right thing and remembering to take care of yourself also! Best wishes to help carry you through.

There's lots of camping down in the Delta. My first choice would be on the "Delta Loop" which is off of hy12 between I-5 and Rio Vista. There's
cell service, and this time of year the campgrounds are very quiet. There's also campgrounds off of hy160 near Isleton, and near Steamboat Slough.
Hop on line and look for California Delta Campgrounds and you'll find plenty, no more than 30-45 minutes south of Sacto.

www.deltaboating.com/camping.html

Why don't you try my usual valley over nite stop over- the COE CG at Black Butt Res west of Orland! Its up I-5 a quick run from Sac. I stayed there last month, only one other camper, the Res was way down , but must have got some more water in the last storm! I've stayed there allot over the years and except for weekends it's usually quiet and they have showers and you can get Sac tv on an antenna if you must. The hills should be green by now and is probably the best time to visit, lot's of hills/shorelines to walk/fish and go blank on. Delta has some nice places too, but have not camped around there for years, sorry about your Mom-just went through that with mine a while back-you need to walk and not think for a while!

Smoke

Real close to Sac is Rancho Seco campground. Pretty sure it is a County park. Has a lake that was used for cooling the nearby nuke plant (now decommisioned). We went kayaking there a couple of months ago. One campsite taken, the rest wide open. Quiet is an understatement.
There is camping on Folsom Lake, also quite close to Sac. It is more popular so may not be as quiet, especially on weekends. Then again, because of the drought it is more of a pond right now. So it may be getting very little use.

I camped at Loafer Creek on Lake Oroville about this time last year. It was quiet and very pleasant. I would think most of the gold country reservoirs would be similar this time of year. Not many families, mostly retirees out enjoying the outdoors before the summer madness kicks in.

I camped overnight at Juniper on Mt. Diablo. There isn't a lot to do there but the views of the bay area at night are great.

Some great suggestions. I might try some with the puppy. My folks arent' too far away from that.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I finally got away this last weekend and went up to Sly Park. Good cell phone coverage. Quiet. Locals said it was likely the final quiet weekend before the season livens up.

It was wonderfully restful and restorative.

I'll likely follow up on some of the other suggestions as well.

Back
Top Bottom