Looks like the site had been Spammed.

billharr

I guess it was bound to happen as the site gets more traffic. Three posts from mariaisha non are camper related. Full of links, I would not hit any you do not know where they may take you.

Can a moderator take this down? You can delete this post when they are gone.

Thanks

Bill Harr

Thanks for the heads up, Bill. They get through occasionally. MarkBC and ski3pin are fast on the draw and usually get them knocked down before they are seen. Ski got this one and the posts should be gone now.

Bill, those posts have been hidden and the poster has been disabled. The site's admin folks reported to us that the June 28th temporary shut down was related to a spam filter. This may be related and lets hope its been handled. In the meantime, continue to report suspicious posts and we'll clean them up as best we can.

Ted said:
MarkBC and ski3pin are fast on the draw and usually get them knocked down before they are seen. Ski got this one and the posts should be gone now.

It's good to get a clean, swift kill. Don't want to gut shoot these vermin.

If/when anyone sees spam or similar bad/odd post it's helpful to use the "Report" link, which is at the bottom of every post (in dim font).
A Report automatically generates an email notification to the Moderators and the Admins, so they'll be quicker to be aware of it even before they log on to WTW.

ski3pin said:
It's good to get a clean, swift kill. Don't want to gut shoot these vermin.
Do you suppose we can cook 'em?

I heard the same stuff over on expo. There like here the dang site teams are so efficient I have yet to see spam on either. How early do I have to get up to see spam?

craig333 said:
...How early do I have to get up to see spam?
Well, it's actually pretty rare. Most people (or bots) who register with the intent to post spam usually don't get that far because there are characteristics of their Profile that make them easy to identify as pre-spammers. So they get zapped before they actually post spam. (it's kinda like in the movie Minority Report).
But spam that does get posted (as well as spammer registration) usually appears in the wee hours of the morning. I don't know if that's because they think the site is less-monitored at that hour or if it's because they're working from a distant time zone.

Back
Top Bottom