Lower Camper Height

NWCamper

Advanced Member
My 2004 Grandby has a factory-installed 2-inch riser which I assume was to fit 2004 or newer Ford pickups with higher bed side heights. I just put it on a 1997 F150 and am not happy with the fit. Seems too high over the bed rails and over the cab. Thinking about removing it since it does not affect the floor of the camper at all. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it do you think for better aerodynamics, aesthetics and offroad use? I will post some pics tonight.

My 2004 Grandby has a factory-installed 2-inch riser which I assume was to fit 2004 or newer Ford pickups with higher bed side heights. I just put it on a 1997 F150 and am not happy with the fit. Seems too high over the bed rails and over the cab. Thinking about removing it since it does not affect the floor of the camper at all. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it do you think for better aerodynamics, aesthetics and offroad use? I will post some pics tonight.

Hey NWC,

I have the same issue with my 2008 F-150 and my Hallmark Milner LX. The Hallmark shop installed a riser on mine as you describe when I purchased my camper. I have no problems with it sitting a little higher than not. Mine sits within a half inch of the bed rails but sits higher over the cab than those trucks with shorter bed height. I have driven in some very strong winds and have been on some very rough roads, and I have no complaints about the way my truck handles. If you have the shorter bed height and don't need the extra height, it would be fairly effortless to remove the screws and use the original floor. I would probably do it if I didn't need the hieght.

Good Camping,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom