LP/CO sensor faulty?

XJINTX

I posted a hijack post in another post and saw no answer. He was asking about a couple problems. He said among other things his LP/CO detector was malfunctioning.

He was not worried too much because he shuts LP off at night. Well I don't especially in Mountains or cold and also so I can make a pot of coffee in the morning without having to go outside.

What are the symptoms of it not working? Is there an audible alarm warning of malfunction? If light is on and appears normal is there a way of testing?

Thanks in advance!

My sensor sometimes beeps and the red light flashes when I am on shore power charging up for a trip and the camper is closed up (top down). If I open the turnbuckle doors and use my USB fan inside it takes care of the problem. I've never had the issue when on shore power with the top up.

It did this when I first got the camper and FWC replaced the unit and only just recently started doing it again. The only other time it has gone off is when I sprayed Raid flying insect killer a little too liberally inside.

Good question! Related: How do I know if my CO detector is working? My paranoid mind just doesn't want to rely on the device telling me it has a problem. For smoke and LP detectors it is easy to run a crude test, but CO?

jim

CamelRacer I will check mine that way today... thanks. PaulT, I may try the .pdf but have no incense :(

My CO detector went off yesterday afternoon for the 1st time since I've had the camper. The top was down but the awning window and a roof vent were open as was the back door.

I have a bunch of hybrid Holly trees around my driveway. They are blooming like crazy. The sweet smell and pollen can almost choke you. I think the heavy pollen actually set off the detector. The truck was parked in the midst of it all afternoon.

I moved the truck and turned off the main switch for a while. That seemed to fix it. No alarms since.

Another reason I'm glad my fridge isn't wired through the fuse box. Main switch cuts power to the fuse box.

My experience:

How do you know your propane detector is bad: propane detector goes off at 2 AM (crack window, pull propane detector fuse, go back to sleep); one week later, propane detector goes off at 2 AM (do not crack window, just pull propane detector fuse and leave out for the rest of the camping season, go back to sleep)

Cure: Purchased a new propane detector during the off-season without the CO detector while replacing the overhead smoke detector with a combination smoke and CO alarm. The new detector has not gone off (must not have a leak, low voltage, garlic breath...).

The original propane detector only lasted 3 years. The first internet propane detector purchased was five years old and so returned since the manufacture date is marked on the detectors.

Back
Top Bottom