makeshift bike mount on FWC

RicoV

Awhile back I mentioned in my Grandby Shell customization threads that I was creating a new system for mounting my mountain bike to the rear of the shell. For various reasons I didn't want to go with an expensive foldout rack or other possible options, so I concocted a real nice mount myself using basic hardware materials/fasteners from Ace, threw a little white paint on the resulting configuration, and there you have it. Pics below. Not likely to win any awards on this design, but dare I say it's extremely functional and has already demonstrated that it will tolerate the hammering delivered by 4WD roads because of its inherent flex and shock absorption characteristics. Drop me an email if anyone is interested in more details of what I've done. Ride on...

Attachments

• cruzer_mount_grandby1.jpg
    cruzer_mount_grandby1.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 525
  • cruzer_mount_grandby2.jpg
    cruzer_mount_grandby2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 547
  • cruzer_mount_grandby3.jpg
    cruzer_mount_grandby3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 440
Rico,

Had you considered mounting the bike vertically so the bike is entirely out of the way of the door? I am wondering where/how to install a bracket to hold the front end of the frame and handlebars directly above the rear tire.

Bill, I saw at least a couple WTW threads a couple years ago demonstrating various vertical-mount solutions. They typically involved a front-fork skewer mounted near the top rear of the camper, just below the roof edging, with the bike's rear wheel resting and secured against the bumper in some manner. That approach wasn't an option for me because of my Grandby's 16" rear overhang, so I had to get creative. And again, even with a vertical bike mount approach, I can't overemphasize the need to pay rapt attention to protecting your bikes from sway, bumps, multi-dimensional forces, etc. if you plan to take your rig+bikes off the well-beaten path.
Rico

Back
Top Bottom