Making new trail in the Tahoe Basin

pvstoy

​Since May a small group of us have been able to work in pairs and observing social distancing and using separate tools have accomplished making new hiking, biking trail to replace a badly designed trail. We have tried to keep the same pairs working together as much as possible. The work has been only open to crew leaders from TAMBA and Tahoe Rim Trail . I had been paired with a gal from the TAMBA organization to construct a rock wall on a outcropping. It was great to work with her to learn more insights in accommodating mountain bikes in the plan and design. While she learned rock wall construction and all about rigging with a grip-hoist for moving and placing rocks of various sizes and weights.

The section is in the Nevada State Park, Van Sickle area. Basically South Lake Tahoe under the Heavenly Ski area tram.

Early in the month we finished that section and I moved around and worked on building rock structures in other locations. On August 8th I was working on another substantial location for a wall. I had a different partner gal and I rigged up to move a large rock. When moving rocks a rock bar is invaluable to help move the rock where you want it and aid in the reduction of tension on the wire rope and rigging. I had placement on the rock with a rock bar when the bar slipped sending me sideways. Not able to get my right foot under me, my back meet a rock upon landing, ouch!

​Luckily I wear a leather lifting belt and that adsorbed the direct impact. But after visiting my doctor for muscle relaxer pills the x-rays reveled 2 cracked ribs. Bummer.

My gal and I still was able to leave on the 16th to Alaska to photograph Coastal Brown Bears. I have healed rather quickly and hope to return to the trail to do some light duty next week.

Attached are images of the completed section with before and after cell phone grabs.

If you ever get the opportunity to volunteer on working on trails it keeps you in shape and allows you to give back to using trail systems. This section was fun to piece together.

Cheers...
20200611_150830_resized.jpg

I love to see good rock work like this! Thanks for all your volunteer work with trails. It sure makes you appreciate all the work that goes into a trail that, sadly, most people don't even notice.

We did our annual survey of a local trail system and made our report to friends with mules - trees down, locations, and other needs. It was all taken care of the next week. Unfortunately the Lady was unable to take part in the work day.

Patrick, glad you're healing up! Cracked and broken ribs are so memorable. You never forget. :)

Great work and thanks for sharing!

I feel your pain Patrick!! It's fortunate that you didn't sustain permanent damage to your back. I've witnessed several close calls like yours that happen in a heartbeat. Have you had second thoughts about working with only 2 people? Crews I work with require a wilderness first aid certified person present and are equipped with a satellite telephone. Since all PCT projects have been cancelled this year I've been debating about working a TRT project with limited support.

That is beautiful work you've done!! Too bad people don't see 95% of the work done below the tread.

Thanks Ski and Ronin. I always say some of my best work is buried. As you have said when walking a trail most people do not know what it took to have a trail there, unless they get out and help build it. It gives you a understanding and appreciation when hiking on trails in the future.

Unfortunately this is not the first ribs I have damaged. Having cracked them is way better than what I did years ago with a hospital stay. Ironic is that when I was 24 I had to turn down a job with the Forest Service building trails because of broken ribs.

Ronin over the years I and most of all TRT crew leaders are trained as wilderness first respondents, and some are the next level up. Some of our volunteers are doctors or retired from the medical profession. We all been trained to handle emergency procedures and carry radios and cell phones. Even though we have been working in small groups for social distancing there are several work group spread out from one another and can use radios to keep in contact. I think now the group size can be more people. I would not worry about working with the TRT on a project as the support is there if needed.

Thanks for your work on the trails.
On several trips we have come along crews doing trail
work. We really appreciate all the work they do.
Yes the rock work is enjoyable to see.
Frank

pvstoy said:
Thanks Ski and Ronin. I always say some of my best work is buried. As you have said when walking a trail most people do not know what it took to have a trail there, unless they get out and help build it. It gives you a understanding and appreciation when hiking on trails in the future.

Unfortunately this is not the first ribs I have damaged. Having cracked them is way better than what I did years ago with a hospital stay. Ironic is that when I was 24 I had to turn down a job with the Forest Service building trails because of broken ribs.

Ronin over the years I and most of all TRT crew leaders are trained as wilderness first respondents, and some are the next level up. Some of our volunteers are doctors or retired from the medical profession. We all been trained to handle emergency procedures and carry radios and cell phones. Even though we have been working in small groups for social distancing there are several work group spread out from one another and can use radios to keep in contact. I think now the group size can be more people. I would not worry about working with the TRT on a project as the support is there if needed.
Good to know you're all equipped to handle emergencies. I've had a few mishaps over the years. Once I has pulling out a tree root and when it gave way I flip over head over heals down an embankment. Fortunately, I didn't hit a rock like you did.
Here's a pic from 2018 at the Echo Lake realignment near the rock pile at the top of the trail. We were building a wall and my wife was the 4th crew member that took the shot. I didn't always like rock work but now it's all I want to do.
Stay safe!!

Attachments

• echo pass - 1.jpg
    echo pass - 1.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 48
I did meet you on Echo last year when you were working with PCT and ACE. I was sitting in this spot as you walked by and introduced myself and talked briefly about WTW and campers.

Filled a huge hole with a lot of rocks and helpers. Images are big and take three postings.
I spent a lot of hours at Echo Summit, but not this year.
20190808_153503_resized_1.jpg

Ronin said:
Good to know you're all equipped to handle emergencies. I've had a few mishaps over the years. Once I has pulling out a tree root and when it gave way I flip over head over heals down an embankment. Fortunately, I didn't hit a rock like you did.
Here's a pic from 2018 at the Echo Lake realignment near the rock pile at the top of the trail. We were building a wall and my wife was the 4th crew member that took the shot. I didn't always like rock work but now it's all I want to do.
Stay safe!!
Boy, does this bring back memories. During the 90's our friend Barking Spider (USFS) coordinated all the volunteer projects in Desolation Wilderness. Being an old fashion character, he believed if volunteers were giving their time to the public he would always be out there too working along side. He'd always invite Julie and me along - we, apparently, were seen as good company and hard workers. I remember most of the PCT we helped on was in the north part of Desolation south of Lake Richardson.

Barking Spider still volunteers with his group of mule buddies packing in trail equipment for work parties and doing trail maintenance on their adopted trails.

Most people have no clue so many caring people like you - Ronin, pvstoy, Barking - are out there working hard for the greater good.

Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom